Optimization of energy consumption for soybean production using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) approach
In this study a non-parametric method of Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) is used to estimate the energy efficiencies of soybean producers based on eight energy inputs including human labor, diesel fuel, machinery, fertilizers, chemicals, water for irrigation, electricity and seed energy and single output of grain yield. The study also helps to rank efficient and inefficient farmers and to identify optimal energy requirement and wasteful uses of energy. Data were collected using face-to-face surveys from 94 farms in Golestan province which is the most important center of soybean production in Iran. Based on the results, average yield and energy consumption for soybean production were 3233.15kgha−1 and 35372.23MJha−1, respectively. Also, the results of DEA application showed that, the technical, pure technical and scale efficiencies of farmers were 0.853, 0.919 and 0.926, respectively. Moreover, energy saving target ratio for soybean production was calculated as 20.12%, indicating that by following the recommendations resulted from this study, about 7116.84MJha−1 of total input energy could be saved while holding the constant level of soybean yield. Also, electrical energy had the highest share (78.08%) from total saving energy, followed by fertilizers (10.46%) and diesel fuel (6.18%) energy inputs.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 88 (2011)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hu, Jin-Li & Kao, Chih-Hung, 2007. "Efficient energy-saving targets for APEC economies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 373-382, January.
- Mohammadi, Ali & Omid, Mahmoud, 2010. "Economical analysis and relation between energy inputs and yield of greenhouse cucumber production in Iran," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 191-196, January.
- Reig-Martinez, Ernest & Picazo-Tadeo, Andres J., 2004. "Analysing farming systems with Data Envelopment Analysis: citrus farming in Spain," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 17-30, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Adler, Nicole & Friedman, Lea & Sinuany-Stern, Zilla, 2002. "Review of ranking methods in the data envelopment analysis context," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 249-265, July.
- Chung, William, 2011. "Review of building energy-use performance benchmarking methodologies," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(5), pages 1470-1479, May.
- Assaf, A. George & Barros, Carlos Pestana & Managi, Shunsuke, 2011. "Cost efficiency of Japanese steam power generation companies: A Bayesian comparison of random and fixed frontier models," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(4), pages 1441-1446, April.
- Balat, Mustafa & Balat, Havva, 2010. "Progress in biodiesel processing," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(6), pages 1815-1835, June.
- Galanopoulos, Konstantinos & Aggelopoulos, Stamatis & Kamenidou, Irene & Mattas, Konstadinos, 2006. "Assessing the effects of managerial and production practices on the efficiency of commercial pig farming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 88(2-3), pages 125-141, June.
- Mousavi-Avval, Seyed Hashem & Rafiee, Shahin & Mohammadi, Ali, 2011. "Optimization of energy consumption and input costs for apple production in Iran using data envelopment analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 909-916.
- Lygnerud, Kristina & Peltola-Ojala, Päivi, 2010. "Factors impacting district heating companies' decision to provide small house customers with heat," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 185-190, January.
- Kizilaslan, Halil, 2009. "Input-output energy analysis of cherries production in Tokat Province of Turkey," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(7-8), pages 1354-1358, July.
- Rafiee, Shahin & Mousavi Avval, Seyed Hashem & Mohammadi, Ali, 2010. "Modeling and sensitivity analysis of energy inputs for apple production in Iran," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 3301-3306.
- Nassiri, Seyed Mehdi & Singh, Surendra, 2009. "Study on energy use efficiency for paddy crop using data envelopment analysis (DEA) technique," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(7-8), pages 1320-1325, July.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Beheshti Tabar, Iman & Keyhani, Alireza & Rafiee, Shaheen, 2010. "Energy balance in Iran's agronomy (1990-2006)," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 849-855, February.
- Bozoğlu, Mehmet & Ceyhan, Vedat, 2009. "Energy conversion efficiency of trout and sea bass production in the Black Sea, Turkey," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 199-204.
- Zhou, P. & Ang, B.W. & Poh, K.L., 2008. "A survey of data envelopment analysis in energy and environmental studies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(1), pages 1-18, August.
- Khan, S. & Khan, M.A. & Hanjra, M.A. & Mu, J., 2009. "Pathways to reduce the environmental footprints of water and energy inputs in food production," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 141-149, April.
- Fraser, I. & Cordina, D., 1999. "An application of data envelopment analysis to irrigated dairy farms in Northern Victoria, Australia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 267-282, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:88:y:2011:i:11:p:3765-3772. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.