The cost of agricultural production risk
We examine the relative influence of preferences and technology on producers' ex ante willingness to pay for a reduction in production risk. A risk averse producer pays both an Arrow-Pratt risk premium to stabilize income and a 'production premium' to stabilize yield. Using soil-nitrate risks as our motivating example, we demonstrate that the production premium accounts for 40-85% of producers' willingness to pay for risk reduction. These results demonstrate the relative importance of technology over risk preferences when estimating the costs of agricultural production risk.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Choi, E. Kwan & Feinerman, Eli, 1993.
"Risk and Probability Premiums for Cara Utility Function,"
Staff General Research Papers
596, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Choi, E. Kwan & Feinerman, Eli, 1993. "Risk And Probability Premiums For Cara Utility Functions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Hanley, Nick, 1990. "The Economics of Nitrate Pollution," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 17(2), pages 129-51.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Chalfant, James A. & Collender, R. N., 1987.
"Simultaneous Input Demands and Land Allocation in Agricultural Production Under Uncertainty,"
Staff General Research Papers
10614, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Chalfant, James A. & Collender, Robert N., 1987. "Simultaneous Input Demands And Land Allocation In Agricultural Production Under Certainty," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Blackmer, A. M., 1992. "Value of Reducing Temporal Input Nonuniformities (The)," Staff General Research Papers 10587, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Blackmer, Alfred M., 1992. "The Value Of Reducing Temporal Input Nonuniformities," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(02), December.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Babcock, Bruce A., 1995. "Flexibility, Endogenous Risk, and the Protection Premium," Staff General Research Papers 1766, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Nick Hanley, 1990. "The Economics of Nitrate Pollution Control in the UK," Working Papers Series 90/5, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Bernardo, Daniel J., 1988. "The Effect Of Spatial Variability Of Irrigation Applications On Risk-Efficient Irrigation Strategies," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Milton Friedman & L. J. Savage, 1948. "The Utility Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 279.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Loehman, Edna T. & Nelson, Carl H., 1992. "Optimal Risk Management, Risk Aversion, And Production Function Properties," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agecon:v:12:y:1995:i:2:p:141-150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.