The Implementation of Management Accounting Practices and its Relationship with Performance in Small and Medium Enterprises
There is scarce research into management accounting practices (MAPs) in small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the current literature. This study aims to explore the implementation of MAPs in SMEs and the relationship between MAPs and performance. A questionnaire survey was conducted among Malaysian SMEs in the manufacturing sector. The study demonstrates that the level of uptake of MAPs differs from traditional to more sophisticated approach. Costing system and performance measurement system (PMS) appear to be the common MAPs employed by the responding enterprises. Meanwhile, the sophisticated MAPs are frequently utilized by larger enterprises which is in line with the theoretical arguments of the effect of size in the adoption of MAPs. The findings also reveal that certain MAPs are found to have significant relationships with performance and these findings have reinforced the importance of MAPs in today’s organization. This study provides additional empirical evidences on MAPs in SMEs and their relationships with performance
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdel K. Halabi, 2010. "Understanding financial information used to assess small firm performance: An Australian qualitative study," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 163-179, June.
- Gordon, Lawrence A. & Silvester, Katherine J., 1999. "Stock market reactions to activity-based costing adoptions," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 229-251, September.
- repec:bla:joares:v:36:y:1998:i::p:1-35 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hoque, Zahirul, 2004. "A contingency model of the association between strategy, environmental uncertainty and performance measurement: impact on organizational performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 485-502, August.
- Yoshino, Naoyuki & Taghizadeh-Hesary, Farhad & Charoensivakorn, Phadet & Niraula, Baburam, 2015. "SME Credit Risk Analysis Using Bank Lending Data: An Analysis of Thai SMEs," ADBI Working Papers 536, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Cadez, Simon & Guilding, Chris, 2008. "An exploratory investigation of an integrated contingency model of strategic management accounting," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(7-8), pages 836-863.
- Abernethy, Margaret A. & Lillis, Anne M., 1995. "The impact of manufacturing flexibility on management control system design," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 241-258, May.
- Ahmed Abdel-Maksoud & Takayuki Asada & Masaru Nakagawa, 2008. "Performance measures, managerial practices and manufacturing technologies in Japanese manufacturing firms: state-of-the-art," International Journal of Business Performance Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 10(1), pages 1-16.
- Christopher D. Ittner, 2002. "The Association Between Activity-Based Costing and Manufacturing Performance," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 711-726, June.
- Tulus Tambunan, 2008. "SME development, economic growth, and government intervention in a developing country: The Indonesian story," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 147-167, December.
- Perera, S. & Harrison, G. & Poole, M., 1997. "Customer-focused manufacturing strategy and the use of operations-based non-financial performance measures: A research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 557-572, August.
- Wijewardena, Hema & De Zoysa, Anura, 1999. "A Comparative Analysis of Management Accounting Practices in Australia and Japan: An Empirical Investigation," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 49-70.
- Mohinder Chand & Ashish Dahiya, 2010. "Application of management accounting techniques in Indian small and medium hospitality enterprises: an empirical study," International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 11(1), pages 25-41.
- Hall, Matthew, 2008. "The effect of comprehensive performance measurement systems on role clarity, psychological empowerment and managerial performance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 141-163.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ3:2017-01-45. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.