Universal Banking and Credit Risk: Evidence from Tunisia
The aim of this paper is to study the effect of universal banking on the Tunisian banking credit risk. By using a sample of Tunisian banks over the period 1980-2010 and based on the panel data analysis method, results show that the universal banking increases significantly the credit risk. However, the level of competition is positively correlated but not significantly with the dependant variable. For the macro variables, we find that only the GDP exerts a positive and significant effect on the credit risk, but the effect of the inflation variable is not significant.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Damjanovic, Tatiana & Damjanovic, Vladislav & Nolan, Charles, 2012.
"Universal banking, competition and risk in a macro model,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2012-19, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Tatiana Damjanovic & Vladislav Damjanovic & Charles Nolan, 2012. "Universal banking, competition and risk in a macro model," CDMA Working Paper Series 201205, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Tatiana Damjanovic & Vladislav Damjanovic & Charles Nolan, 2012. "Universal banking, competition and risk in a macro model," Discussion Papers 1201, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Ratnovski, Lev, 2012.
"Banking and Trading,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9148, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boyd, John H & Chang, Chun & Smith, Bruce D, 1998.
"Moral Hazard under Commercial and Universal Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(3), pages 426-68, August.
- John H. Boyd & Chun Chang & Bruce D. Smith, 1998. "Moral hazard under commercial and universal banking," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Aug, pages 426-471.
- John H. Boyd & Chun Chang & Bruce D. Smith, 1998. "Moral hazard under commercial and universal banking," Working Papers 585, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- David C Webb, 1998.
"The Impact of Liquidity Constraints on Bank Lending Policy,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp299, Financial Markets Group.
- Webb, David C, 2000. "The Impact of Liquidity Constraints on Bank Lending Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 69-91, January.
- Kanatas, George & Qi, Jianping, 1998. "Underwriting by Commercial Banks: Incentive Conflicts, Scope Economies, and Project Quality," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(1), pages 119-33, February.
- Johnson, Simon & Boone, Peter & Breach, Alasdair & Friedman, Eric, 2000.
"Corporate governance in the Asian financial crisis,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 141-186.
- Simon Johnson & Peter Boone & Alasdair Breach & Eric Friedman, 1999. "Corporate Governance in the Asian Financial Crisis," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 297, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Eric Friedman & Simon Johnson & Peter Boone & Alasdair Breach, 1999. "Corporate Governance in the Asian Financial Crisis," Departmental Working Papers 199920, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Anthony Saunders & Ingo Walter, 2012. "Financial architecture, systemic risk, and universal banking," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 39-59, March.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1996. "Competition for Deposits, Fragility, and Insurance," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 184-216, April.
- Kaniska Dam & Susana Wendy Zendejas Castillo, 2006. "Market power and risk taking behavior of banks," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 21(1), pages 55-84.
- Chung-Hua Shen, 2005. "Cost efficiency and banking performances in a partial universal banking system: application of the panel smooth threshold model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(9), pages 993-1009.
- Vennet, Rudi Vander, 1996. "The effect of mergers and acquisitions on the efficiency and profitability of EC credit institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1531-1558, November.
- Bertrand Rime & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2001.
"The Performance of Universal Banks: Evidence from Switzerland,"
01.03, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Rime, Bertrand & Stiroh, Kevin J., 2003. "The performance of universal banks: Evidence from Switzerland," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 2121-2150, November.
- White, Eugene Nelson, 1986. "Before the Glass-Steagall Act: An analysis of the investment banking activities of national banks," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 33-55, January.
- Rafael Repullo, 2002.
"Capital requirements, market power, and risk-taking in banking,"
809, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2004. "Capital requirements, market power, and risk-taking in banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 156-182, April.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2003. "Capital Requirements, Market Power and Risk-Taking in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 3721, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2006. "Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1581-1603, May.
- George J. Benston, 1994. "Universal Banking," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(3), pages 121-143, Summer.
- Boyd, John H., 1999. "Expansion of commercial banking powers ... or, universal banking is the cart, not the horse," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 655-662, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ1:2012-04-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.