Coca Leaves Production and Eradication: A General Equilibrium Analysis
Law enforcement against illegal drug markets like coca leaf production have created big debate about its consequences and effectiveness. Since this enfocerment does not only affect the illegal market but also the legal ones it is then necessary to study its effects and effectiveness within a general equilibrium framework. This is the first contribution of this note. Moreover, using a unique database on Colombia we make a robust econometric check for the main results: we show that standard erradication policy have counterintuitive effects and do not reduce the production.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ibanez, Marcela & Carlsson, Fredrik, 2010.
"A survey-based choice experiment on coca cultivation,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 249-263, November.
- Marcela Ibanez & Fredrik Carlsson, 2009. "A survey-based choice experiment on coca cultivation," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 17, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, July.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, July.
- Moreno-Sanchez, Rocio & Kraybill, David S. & Thompson, Stanley R., 2003. "An Econometric Analysis of Coca Eradication Policy in Colombia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 375-383, February.
- Ana MaríaDíaz & FabioSánchez, 2004. "A Geography Of Illicit Crops (Coca Leaf) And Armed Conflict In Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 001918, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Michele Boldrin, 2009. "Growth And Cycles, In The Mode Of Marx And Schumpeter," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(s1), pages 415-442, 09.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-444, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)