Political Violence and Farm Household Efficiency in Colombia
This article estimates farm household levels of technical efficiency and their determinants in Colombia, with particular reference to political violence (i.e., guerrilla fronts, homicides, kidnappings, and forced population displacements). An input-oriented stochastic frontier is estimated simultaneously with a technical inefficiency model that incorporates an index of political violence at the local level, using survey data from 822 farm households. The findings show that household productivity is lower in areas with high political violence, due mainly to disruptions in rural labor markets and in the operation of large farms. Should political violence be eliminated, the ensuing increases in the Farrellâ€™s technical efficiency indexes of farm households in the sample would increase substantially, pointing to significant peace dividends for rural households in Colombia.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- K. P. Kalirajan, 1989. "On Measuring the Contribution of Human Capital to Agricultural Production," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 24(2), pages 247-261, July.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007.
"Economic Growth In Colombia: A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 25(53), pages 220-259, January.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007. "Economic Growth In Colombia: A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 25(53), pages 220-259, Enero.
- Mauricio CARDENAS SANTAMARIA, 2002. "Economic growth in Colombia: A reversal of Fortune," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002402, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Tsekouras, Kostas D. & Pantzios, Christos J. & Karagiannis, Giannis, 2004. "Malmquist productivity index estimation with zero-value variables: The case of Greek prefectural training councils," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 95-106, May.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1993.
"Income Distribution, Political Instability, and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
4486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto, 1996. "Income distribution, political instability, and investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1203-1228, June.
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- Lockheed, Marlaine E & Jamison, Dean T & Lau, Lawrence J, 1987. "Farmer Education and Farm Efficiency: Reply," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(3), pages 643-44, April.
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Zofio, Jose L., 2003. "Graph Efficiency and Parametric Distance Function with an Application to Spanish Savings Banks," Efficiency Series Papers 2003/01, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Murty, M.N. & Kumar, Surender, 2002. "Measuring the cost of environmentally sustainable industrial development in India: a distance function approach," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 467-486, July.
- Alexander Cotte Poveda, 2001. "The Effects of Socio-Political Instability on the Colombian Productivity:1952-2000," SERIE DE DOCUMENTOS EN ECONOMÍA Y VIOLENCIA 003589, CENTRO DE INVESTIGACIONES EN VIOLENCIA, INSTITUCIONES Y DESARROLLO ECONÓMICO (VIDE).
- Dinar, Ariel & Keck, Andrew, 1997. "Private irrigation investment in Colombia: effects of violence, macroeconomic policy, and environmental conditions," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:ecdecc:v:55:y:2007:p:367-392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.