The effects of specific commodity taxes on output and location of free entry oligopoly
This paper examines the impact of a specific commodity tax on output and the location decision of undifferentiated oligopolistic firms with free entry. It shows that (1) the optimum output and location of the oligopolistic firm is independent of the specific commodity tax if the demand function is linear (2) an increase in the specific commodity tax will increase (decrease) output per firm and move the plant location toward (away from) the output market if the demand function is concave (convex). These results are consistent with the conventional results based on the non-spatial setting. In the case in which the demand function is linear or concave, it shows that the number of firms and total output of oligopoly may increase. These results are significantly different from the conventional results based on non-spatial setting. It indicates that the effects of the specific tax on total output and the number of firms crucially depend upon transport costs and the location decisions of oligopolistic firms.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seade, Jesus K, 1980. "On the Effects of Entry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 479-89, March.
- Mai, Chao-cheng & Hwang, Hong, 1992. "Production-location decision and free entry oligopoly," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 252-271, March.
- Besley, Timothy, 1989. "Commodity taxation and imperfect competition : A note on the effects of entry," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 359-367, December.
- Hanoch, Giora, 1975. "The Elasticity of Scale and the Shape of Average Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 492-97, June.
- Hwang, Hong & Mai, Chao-Cheng & Shieh, Yeung-Nan, 2007. "Production-location decision and free entry oligopoly: A correction," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 576-579, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.