What Explains Intra-Asian FDI Flows?: Do Distance and Trade Matter?
This paper examines intra-Asian FDI flows using bilateral data over the period 1990 to 2005. Does the so-called distance puzzle that has charcterized trade and FDI based gravity models exist in the case of intra-Asian FDI flows as well? And if so, to what extent can it be explained by informational assymetries and international trade as opposed to physical distance? These questions are explored in this paper.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loungani, Prakash & Mody, Ashoka & Razin, Assaf, 2002. "The Global Disconnect: The Role of Transactional Distance and Scale Economies in Gravity Equations," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(5), pages 526-43, December.
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1999.
"The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," NBER Working Papers 7336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 2000. "The determinants of cross-border equity flows," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20203, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 2001. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," DELTA Working Papers 2001-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- R Portes & H Rey, 2000. "The Determinants Of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEP Discussion Papers dp0446, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- di Giovanni, Julian, 2005.
"What drives capital flows? The case of cross-border M&A activity and financial deepening,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 127-149, January.
- di Giovanni, Julian, 2002. "What Drives Capital Flows? The Case of Cross-Border M&A Activity and Financial Deepening," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt7nq6d7wp, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Julian di Giovanni & Contact: email@example.com, 2003. "What Drives Capital Flows? The Case of Cross-Border M&A Activity and Financial Deepening," International Trade 0303002, EconWPA.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2008. "FDI as an outcome of the market for corporate control: Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 2-20, January.
- Rabin Hattari & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2008. "Trends and Drivers of Bilateral FDI Flows in Developing Asia," Working Papers 112008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-08f20007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.