Dynamic strategic responses among advertisers: the case of meat products
The case of strategic advertising response is examined for branded and generic meat products (beef, pork, and poultry). A dynamic conceptual model is developed to identify the determinants of advertising expenditures. A time-series model is then used to examine the competitive behavior of branded and generic meat advertisers. The results identify two types of advertising strategies those based upon changes in revenues and those based upon changes in competitor advertising expenditures. Most groups employ a mix of revenue-based and advertising-based strategies. The results identify examples of both strategic substitutes and strategic complements. No long-run response to generic advertising by brand advertisers in the same commodity group is found.
Volume (Year): 13 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. W. Kinnucan, 1996. "A Note On Measuring Returns To Generic Advertising In Interrelated Markets," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 261-267.
- Boyer, M. & Moreaux, M., 1998.
"Strategic Underinvestment in Informative Advertising: the Cases of Subsitutes and Complements,"
98.502, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Marcel Boyer & Michel Moreaux, 1999. "Strategic Underinvestment in Informative Advertising: The Cases of Substitutes and Complements," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 654-672, May.
- Julian M. Alston & John W. Freebairn & Jennifer S. James, 2001. "Beggar-Thy-Neighbor Advertising: Theory and Application to Generic Commodity Promotion Programs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 888-902.
- Jeffrey Hyde & Kenneth Foster, 2003. "Estimating Dynamic Relationships between Pork Advertising and Revenues," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 279-293.
- Thomas, Louis A., 1999. "Incumbent firms' response to entry: Price, advertising, and new product introduction," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 527-555, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-07m30001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.