Inequality of Educational Outcomes: International Evidence from PISA
This paper examines the relation between measures of the within-country inequality of student scores on international academic tests and the average level of scores across countries, using the PISA mathematics tests over 2000-2009. It finds that average test scores are higher in countries with lower inequality in scores – a virtuous efficiency-equity relation in test performance – and that family background factors are differently associated with student test performance across countries, but display little impact on the country-wide dispersion of test scores.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Veruska Oppedisano & Gilberto Turati, 2011.
"What are the causes of educational inequalities and of their evolution over time in Europe? Evidence from Pisa,"
2011/1, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Veruska Oppedisano & Gilberto Turati, 2010. "What are the causes of educational inequalities and of their evolution over time in Europe? Evidence from PISA," Working Papers XREAP2010-16, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2010.
- Gabriela Schütz & Heinrich Ursprung & Ludger Woessmann, 2005.
"Education Policy and Equality of Opportunity,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1518, CESifo Group Munich.
- Schütz, Gabriela & Ursprung, Heinrich W. & Wößmann, Ludger, 2008. "Education policy and equality of opportunity," Munich Reprints in Economics 19901, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schütz, Gabriela & Ursprung, Heinrich W. & Woessmann, Ludger, 2005. "Education Policy and Equality of Opportunity," IZA Discussion Papers 1906, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andreas Ammermueller, 2007. "Poor Background or Low Returns? Why Immigrant Students in Germany Perform so Poorly in the Programme for International Student Assessment," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 215-230.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:eerese:v:11:y2011:i:3_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.