Impact of Financial Liberalization on Welfare: Evidence from Nepal
This study aims at examining the impact of financial liberalization on welfare and presents the empirical evidence from Nepal using ARDL modeling cointegration test method. The test results indicate that financial liberalization is positively associated with increased employment opportunities in both rural and urban areas but negatively associated with the bank credits to the poor. From these results, it can be argued that the net impact of financial liberalization on welfare is ambiguous. Specifically, the incidence of poverty is adversely affected by financial liberalization.
Volume (Year): 7 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Wyplosz, Charles, 2001.
"How Risky is Financial Liberalization in the Developing Countries?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2724, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Charles WYPLOSZ, 2001. "How Risky Is Financial Liberalization In The Developing Countries?," G-24 Discussion Papers 14, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & A. B. M. Nasir, 2004. "ARDL Approach to Test the Productivity Bias Hypothesis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 483-488, 08.
- Subrata Ghatak & Jalal Siddiki, 2001. "The use of the ARDL approach in estimating virtual exchange rates in India," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(5), pages 573-583.
- Wojciech W. Charemza & Derek F. Deadman, 1992. "New Directions In Econometric Practice," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 84, April.
- Caprio,Gerard & Honohan,Patrick & Stiglitz,Joseph E. (ed.), 2006. "Financial Liberalization," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030991, November.
- Daitoh, Ichiroh, 2003. "Financial liberalization, urban unemployment and welfare: some implications of the artificial low interest rate and the high wage rate policies in LDCs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 163-179, October.
- Atkins, Frank J. & Coe, Patrick J., 2002. "An ARDL bounds test of the long-run Fisher effect in the United States and Canada," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 255-266, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Edwards, Sebastian & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1986. "The Welfare Effects of Trade and Capital Market Liberalization," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 141-48, February.
- Battle, Ann Marie, 1997. "Welfare effects of liberalization reforms with distortions in financial and labor markets," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 279-294, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:7:y:2007:i:1_15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.