Linkages between Sectoral Output Growth and Financial Development in Nepal
A feature of the recent period of output growth in Nepal is that growth has been uneven across sectors. While the services sector has been expanding, the agricultural and manufacturing sectors have growing much more slowly. In this paper we attempt to explain this fact by investigating the linkages between financial development and sectoral output growth in a vector-autoregression (VAR) analysis. We find that the services sector reacts strongly to increases in domestic credit, while agriculture and manufacturing are largely unaffected. We interpret this finding in the context of a two sector-growth model, by Schneider and Tornell (2004), where credit constraints and the access to international capital markets play a central role. We also discuss the importance of our findings for the goal of poverty alleviation.
Volume (Year): 24 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.nrb.org.np/ecorev/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann & Lorenza Martinez, 2003. "Liberalization, Growth, and Financial Crises: Lessons from Mexico and the Developing World," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(2), pages 1-112.
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann (ed.), 2005.
"Boom-Bust Cycles and Financial Liberalization,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 9780262201599.
- Min B. SHRESTHA & Khorshed CHOWDHURY, 2007. "Impact of Financial Liberalization on Welfare: Evidence from Nepal," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(1), pages -.
- Khem Raj Bhetuwal Ph. D., 2007. "Financial Liberalization and Financial Development in Nepal," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 19, pages 23-41, April.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009.
"The Two Waves of Service Sector Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
14968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shalik Ram Sharma, 2003. "Microfinance Against Poverty : The Nepalese Scenario," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 15, pages 166-190, April.
- Bishnu Prasad Gautam Ph. D., 2008. "Economic Impact of Tourism Finance in Nepal," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 20, pages 62-73, April.
- Demetriades, Panicos O & Luintel, Kul B, 1996. "Banking Sector Policies and Financial Development in Nepal," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(2), pages 355-372, May.
- Ganesh Kumar Shrestha, 2004. "Financial Sector Reforms in Nepal," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 16, pages 75-90, April.
- Udaya R. Wagle, 2010. "Economic inequality in Nepal: Patterns and changes during the late 1990s and early 2000s," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 573-590.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nrb:journl:v:24:y:2012:i:2:p:15-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Bishnu Prasad Gautam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.