Linkages between Sectoral Output Growth and Financial Development in Nepal
A feature of the recent period of output growth in Nepal is that growth has been uneven across sectors. While the services sector has been expanding, the agricultural and manufacturing sectors have growing much more slowly. In this paper we attempt to explain this fact by investigating the linkages between financial development and sectoral output growth in a vector-autoregression (VAR) analysis. We find that the services sector reacts strongly to increases in domestic credit, while agriculture and manufacturing are largely unaffected. We interpret this finding in the context of a two sector-growth model, by Schneider and Tornell (2004), where credit constraints and the access to international capital markets play a central role. We also discuss the importance of our findings for the goal of poverty alleviation.
Volume (Year): 24 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.nrb.org.np/ecorev/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2013.
"The two waves of service-sector growth,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 65(1), pages 96-123, January.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service Sector Growth," NBER Working Papers 14968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Development Economics Working Papers 22914, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Working Papers id:1934, eSocialSciences.
- Udaya R. Wagle, 2010. "Economic inequality in Nepal: Patterns and changes during the late 1990s and early 2000s," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 573-590.
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann & Lorenza Martinez, 2003. "Liberalization, Growth, and Financial Crises: Lessons from Mexico and the Developing World," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(2), pages 1-112.
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann (ed.), 2005. "Boom-Bust Cycles and Financial Liberalization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 9780262201599, July.
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2005. "Boom-Bust Cycles and Financial Liberalization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262201593, July.
- Shalik Ram Sharma, 2003. "Microfinance Against Poverty : The Nepalese Scenario," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 15, pages 166-190, April.
- Khem Raj Bhetuwal Ph. D., 2007. "Financial Liberalization and Financial Development in Nepal," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 19, pages 23-41, April.
- Min B. SHRESTHA & Khorshed CHOWDHURY, 2007. "Impact of Financial Liberalization on Welfare: Evidence from Nepal," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(1).
- Ganesh Kumar Shrestha, 2004. "Financial Sector Reforms in Nepal," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 16, pages 75-90, April.
- Demetriades, Panicos O & Luintel, Kul B, 1996. "Banking Sector Policies and Financial Development in Nepal," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(2), pages 355-372, May.
- Bishnu Prasad Gautam Ph. D., 2008. "Economic Impact of Tourism Finance in Nepal," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 20, pages 62-73, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nrb:journl:v:24:y:2012:i:2:p:15-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Bishnu Prasad Gautam)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.