Uniform Asymptotic Normality In Stationary And Unit Root Autoregression
While differencing transformations can eliminate nonstationarity, they typically reduce signal strength and correspondingly reduce rates of convergence in unit root autoregressions. The present paper shows that aggregating moment conditions that are formulated in differences provides an orderly mechanism for preserving information and signal strength in autoregressions with some very desirable properties. In first order autoregression, a partially aggregated estimator based on moment conditions in differences is shown to have a limiting normal distribution that holds uniformly in the autoregressive coefficient ρ , including stationary and unit root cases. The rate of convergence is null when null and the limit distribution is the same as the Gaussian maximum likelihood estimator (MLE), but when ρ = 1 the rate of convergence to the normal distribution is within a slowly varying factor of n . A fully aggregated estimator (FAE) is shown to have the same limit behavior in the stationary case and to have nonstandard limit distributions in unit root and near integrated cases, which reduce both the bias and the variance of the MLE. This result shows that it is possible to improve on the asymptotic behavior of the MLE without using an artificial shrinkage technique or otherwise accelerating convergence at unity at the cost of performance in the neighborhood of unity. Confidence intervals constructed from the FAE using local asymptotic theory around unity also lead to improvements over the MLE.
Volume (Year): 27 (2011)
Issue (Month): 06 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cambridge University Press, UPH, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 8BS UK|
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W.K., 1988.
"Laws of Large Numbers for Dependent Non-Identically Distributed Random Variables,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 458-467, December.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1987. "Laws of Large Numbers for Dependent Non-Identically Distributed Random Variables," Working Papers 645, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Roy, Anindya & Fuller, Wayne A, 2001. "Estimation for Autoregressive Time Series with a Root Near 1," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 482-93, October.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Exactly Median-Unbiased Estimation of First Order Autoregressive/Unit Root Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 139-65, January.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Chin Chin Lee, 1996. "Efficiency Gains from Quasi-Differencing Under Nonstationarity," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1134, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1995.
"Fully Modified Least Squares and Vector Autoregression,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1023-78, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1993. "Fully Modified Least Squares and Vector Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1047, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Chirok Han, 2006.
"Gaussian Inference in AR(1) Time Series with or without a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1546, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Han, Chirok, 2008. "Gaussian Inference In Ar(1) Time Series With Or Without A Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 631-650, June.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Tassos Magdalinos, 2008.
"Unit Root and Cointegrating Limit Theory When Initialization Is in the Infinite Past,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1655, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Magdalinos, Tassos, 2009. "Unit Root And Cointegrating Limit Theory When Initialization Is In The Infinite Past," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(06), pages 1682-1715, December.
- Kim, Yangseon & Qian, Hailong & Schmidt, Peter, 1999. "Efficient GMM and MD estimation of autoregressive models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 265-270, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:etheor:v:27:y:2011:i:06:p:1117-1151_00. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.