Inference For The Jump Part Of Quadratic Variation Of Itô Semimartingales
Recent research has focused on modeling asset prices by Itô semimartingales. In such a modeling framework, the quadratic variation consists of a continuous and a jump component. This paper is about inference on the jump part of the quadratic variation, which can be estimated by the difference of realized variance and realized multipower variation. The main contribution of this paper is twofold. First, it provides a bivariate asymptotic limit theory for realized variance and realized multipower variation in the presence of jumps. Second, this paper presents new, consistent estimators for the jump part of the asymptotic variance of the estimation bias. Eventually, this leads to a feasible asymptotic theory that is applicable in practice. Finally, Monte Carlo studies reveal a good finite sample performance of the proposed feasible limit theory.
Volume (Year): 26 (2010)
Issue (Month): 02 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cambridge University Press, UPH, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 8BS UK|
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xin Huang & George Tauchen, 2005. "The Relative Contribution of Jumps to Total Price Variance," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(4), pages 456-499.
- Ole BARNDORFF-NIELSEN & Svend Erik GRAVERSEN & Jean JACOD & Mark PODOLSKIJ & Neil SHEPHARD, 2004.
"A Central Limit Theorem for Realised Power and Bipower Variations of Continuous Semimartingales,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2004fe21, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Barndorff-Nielsen, Ole Eiler & Graversen, Svend Erik & Jacod, Jean & Podolskij, Mark, 2004. "A central limit theorem for realised power and bipower variations of continuous semimartingales," Technical Reports 2004,51, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Ole Barndorff-Nielsen & Svend Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Mark Podolskij & Neil Shephard, 2004. "A Central Limit Theorem for Realised Power and Bipower Variations of Continuous Semimartingales," Economics Papers 2004-W29, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Fabienne Comte & Eric Renault, 1998. "Long memory in continuous-time stochastic volatility models," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 291-323.
- Comte, F. & Renault, E., 1996. "Long Memory in Continuous Time Stochastic Volatility Models," Papers 96.406, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Barndorff-Nielsen, Ole E. & Graversen, Svend Erik & Jacod, Jean & Shephard, Neil, 2006. "Limit Theorems For Bipower Variation In Financial Econometrics," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 677-719, August.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Sven Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Neil Shephard, 2005. "Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics," Economics Papers 2005-W06, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Sven Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Neil Shephard, 2005. "Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics," OFRC Working Papers Series 2005fe09, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Posch, Olaf, 2011. "Explaining output volatility: The case of taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(11), pages 1589-1606.
- Olaf Posch, 2006. "Explaining Output Volatility: the Case of Taxation," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20608, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Olaf Posch, 2009. "Explaining Output Volatility: The Case of Taxation," CESifo Working Paper Series 2751, CESifo Group Munich.
- Olaf Posch, 2008. "Explaining output volatility: The case of taxation," CREATES Research Papers 2008-04, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Ebens, Heiko, 2001. "The distribution of realized stock return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 43-76, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)