Exact Properties Of The Conditional Likelihood Ratio Test In An Iv Regression Model
For a simplified structural equation/IV regression model with one right-side endogenous variable, we derive the exact conditional distribution function of Moreira's (2003) conditional likelihood ratio (CLR) test statistic. This is used to obtain the critical value function needed to implement the CLR test, and reasonably comprehensive graphical versions of this function are provided for practical use. The analogous functions are also obtained for the case of testing more than one right-side endogenous coefficient, but in this case for a similar test motivated by, but not generally the same as, the likelihood ratio test. Next, the exact power functions of the CLR test, the Anderson-Rubin test, and the Lagrange multiplier test suggested by Kleibergen (2002) are derived and studied. The CLR test is shown to clearly conditionally dominate the other two tests for virtually all parameter configurations, but no test considered is either inadmissable or uniformly superior to the other two. The unconditional distribution function of the likelihood ratio test statistic is also derived using the same argument. This shows that both exactly, and under Staiger/Stock weak-instrument asymptotics, the test based on the usual asymptotic critical value is always oversized and can be very seriously so when the number of instruments is large.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 04 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Kleibergen, 2002. "Pivotal Statistics for Testing Structural Parameters in Instrumental Variables Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1781-1803, September.
- Breusch, Trevor S, 1986. "Hypothesis Testing in Unidentified Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 635-51, August.
- Kleibergen, Frank, 2007. "Generalizing weak instrument robust IV statistics towards multiple parameters, unrestricted covariance matrices and identification statistics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 181-216, July.
- Marcelo J. Moreira, 2003. "A Conditional Likelihood Ratio Test for Structural Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1027-1048, 07.
- Hillier, Grant H., 1987. "Classes of Similar Regions and Their Power Properties for Some Econometric Testing Problems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 1-44, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:etheor:v:25:y:2009:i:04:p:915-957_09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.