Exact Properties Of The Conditional Likelihood Ratio Test In An Iv Regression Model
This paper was revised in May 2007. For a simplified structural equation/IV regression model with one right-side endogenous variable, we obtain the exact conditional distribution function for Moreira's (2003) conditional likelihood ratio (CLR) test. This is then used to obtain the critical value function needed to implement the CLR test, and reasonably comprehensive graphical versions of the function are provided for practical use. The analogous functions are also obtained for the case of testing more than one right-side endogenous coefficient, but only for an approximation to the true likelihood ratio test. We then go on to provide an exact analysis of the power functions of the CLR test, the Anderson-Rubin test, and the LM test suggested by Kleibergen (2002). The CLR test is shown to clearly conditionally dominate the other two tests for virtually all parameter configurations, but none of these test is either inadmissible or uniformly superior to the other two.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 04 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hillier, Grant H., 1987. "Classes of Similar Regions and Their Power Properties for Some Econometric Testing Problems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 1-44, February.
- Kleibergen, Frank, 2007. "Generalizing weak instrument robust IV statistics towards multiple parameters, unrestricted covariance matrices and identification statistics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 181-216, July.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2002. "Pivotal Statistics for Testing Structural Parameters in Instrumental Variables Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1781-1803, September.
- Marcelo J. Moreira, 2003. "A Conditional Likelihood Ratio Test for Structural Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1027-1048, 07.
- Breusch, Trevor S, 1986. "Hypothesis Testing in Unidentified Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 635-51, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:etheor:v:25:y:2009:i:04:p:915-957_09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.