On the Macroeconomic Effects of Public Debt Substitution
This paper presents a quantitative analysis of the way in which a government finances its fiscal deficit in a small open economy. In particular, it focuses on the evaluation of the macroeconomic impact of a situation in which, given a fiscal deficit, the government decides whether to finance it with domestic or external debt. For this purpose a small open economy DSGE model is used. The model is calibrated to the colombian economy. The results depend on whether the substitution is transitory or permanent. The former has negligible macroeconomic effects, except for the impact on private capital flows (we call this a «portfolio effect»). An increase in the domestic public debt equally matched by a reduction in the external debt, is balanced by a reduction in private net foreign assets. On the contrary, a permanent substitution of 10% in the level of external public debt by domestic debt, has transitory but significant effects on the level of real economic activity and capital flows. Such a recomposition generates a 5% increase in net foreign assets (a capital outflow) along with a 1% nominal nominal depreciation. Although our results are quite general under flexible prices, we especulate that they may change in the presence of uncertainty about the sustainability of fiscal deficit and/or nominal and real rigidities.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 2000.
"Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints,"
00.07, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2001. "Currency crises and monetary policy in an economy with credit constraints," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 1121-1150.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2000. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 2529, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Bacchetta, Philippe & Aghion, Philippe, 2001. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," Scholarly Articles 4554218, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Javier Gómez Pineda, "undated".
"A Framework for Macroeconomic Stability in Emerging Market Economies,"
Borradores de Economia
320, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Javier Gómez Pineda, 2004. "A Framework for Macroeconomic Stability in Emerging Market Economies," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 001915, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2004.
"Financial globalization and exchange rates,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19926, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2004. "Financial Globalization and Exchange Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 4745, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2005. "Financial Globalisation and Exchange Rates," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp044, IIIS.
- Gian M Milesi-Ferretti & Philip R. Lane, 2005. "Financial Globalization and Exchange Rates," IMF Working Papers 05/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Philip R. Lane & G Milesi-Feretti, 2004. "Financial Globalization and Exchange Rates," CEP Discussion Papers dp0662, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2003.
"Closing small open economy models,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 163-185, October.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2002. "Closing Small Open Economy Models," NBER Working Papers 9270, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001. "Closing Small Open Economy Models," Departmental Working Papers 200115, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2002. "Closing Small Open Economy Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 3096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shujing Li & Isabel K. Yan & Michael Kumhof, 2007.
"Balance of Payments Crises Under Inflation Targeting,"
IMF Working Papers
07/84, International Monetary Fund.
- Kumhof, Michael & Li, Shujing & Yan, Isabel, 2007. "Balance of payments crises under inflation targeting," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 242-264, May.
- Michael Kumhof & Shujing Li & Isabel Yan, "undated". "Balance of Payments Crises Under Inflation Targeting," Working Papers 00020, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309.
- Wallace, Neil, 1981. "A Modigliani-Miller Theorem for Open-Market Operations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 267-274, June.
- Santiago Gutiérrez V. & Michel Formisano P., 2003. "La culpa es del Yankee: Correlaciones e ineficiencias en el mercado de dinero," APUNTES DE BANCA Y FINANZAS 002959, ASOBANCARIA.
- Andres Velasco & Roberto Chang, 2004.
"Monetary Policy and the Currency Denomination of Debt: A Tale of Two Equilibria,"
NBER Working Papers
10827, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 2004. "Monetary policy and the currency denomination of debt: a tale of two equilibria," Working Paper Series 2004-30, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Claessens, Stijn & Klingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio, 2003.
"Government bonds in domestic and foreign currency: the role of macroeconomic and institutional factors,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2986, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Klingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio, 2003. "Government Bonds in Domestic and Foreign Currency: The Role of Macroeconomic and Institutional Factors," CEPR Discussion Papers 3789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henning Bohn, .
"A Positive Theory of Foreign Currency Debt,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
19-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Jeanne, Olivier, 2003.
"Why Do Emerging Economies Borrow in Foreign Currency?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4030, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier D Jeanne, 2003. "Why Do Emerging Economies Borrow in Foreign Currency?," IMF Working Papers 03/177, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000107:007495. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.