Deviation of the purchasing power parity hypothesis and equilibrium real exchange rate: Chile 1986-2011
The fact that the Purchasing Power Parity hypothesis (PPP) is not confirmed in the short and medium term is a widely discussed macroeconomic puzzle. The evidence for the Chilean economy suggests that only in the very long term it is possible to find evidence in favor of the PPP hypothesis. The main causes of these deviations from the law of a unique price would be short term nominal rigidities, changes in the exchange rate regime and structural breaks in RER. These deviations could impact the measurement of the equilibrium RER, and therefore the understanding of the RER dynamics becomes of particular relevance in terms of economic policy. This paper studies the RER dynamics, finding evidence of a potential structural break in its trajectory between the years 1998 and 1999. The cause of the break would be related to the implementation of the inflation targeting cum flexible exchange rate regime. Through the resolution of a DSGE model estimated for Chile, I propose an alternative methodology for the calculation of the equilibrium RER.
Volume (Year): 16 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodrigo Caputo G. & Bernardo Dominichetti H., 2005. "Revisión Metodológica en el Cálculo del IPE e Implicancias sobre los Modelos de Serie de Tiempo Para el TCR," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 8(1), pages 77-82, April.
- José De Gregorio & Andrea Tokman & Rodrigo Valdés, 2005.
"Flexible Exchange Rate with Inflation Targeting in Chile: Experience and Issues,"
Research Department Publications
4427, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Andrea Tokman & Rodrigo Valdés & José De Gregorio, 2005. "Flexible Exchange Rate with Inflation Targeting in Chile: Experience and Issues," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6696, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995.
"Which Moments to Match,"
95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
NBER Working Papers
4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," CEPR Discussion Papers 1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Scholarly Articles 12491026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- C. John McDermott & Paul Cashin, 2004.
"Parity Reversion in Real Exchange Rates; Fast, Slow or Not At All?,"
IMF Working Papers
04/128, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Cashin & C. John McDermott, 2006. "Parity Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Fast, Slow, or Not at All?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(1), pages 5.
- César Calderón & Roberto Duncan, 2003.
"Purchasing Power Parity in an Emerging Market Economy: A Long-Span Study for Chile,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
215, Central Bank of Chile.
- César Calderón & Roberto Duncan, 2003. "Purchasing power parity in an emerging market economy: a long- span study for Chile," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 30(1 Year 20), pages 103-132, June.
- Alan M. Taylor, 2000.
"A Century of Purchasing-Power Parity,"
NBER Working Papers
8012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Alvaro Aguirre & César Calderón, 2005. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignments and Economic Performance," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 316, Central Bank of Chile.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1998.
"Testing for Structural Change in Conditional Models,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
310., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2000. "Testing for structural change in conditional models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 93-115, July.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Rodrigo Caputo G. & Marco Núñez N. & Rodrigo Valdés P., 2008. "Análisis del tipo de cambio en la práctica," Investigación Conjunta - español, in: Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos (CEMLA) (ed.), Estimación y Uso de Variables no Observables en la Región, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 313-364 Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, CEMLA.
- Lothian, James R & Taylor, Mark P, 1996. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior: The Recent Float from the Perspective of the Past Two Centuries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 488-509, June.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2006. "La Gran Transición de Regímenes Cambiarios y Monetarios en América Latina," Economic Policy Papers Central Bank of Chile 17, Central Bank of Chile.
- Hegwood, Natalie D & Papell, David H, 1998. "Quasi Purchasing Power Parity," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(4), pages 279-89, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchec:v:16:y:2013:i:3:p:04-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.