Economic Freedom and Beauty Pageant Success in the World
Beauty pageants are ubiquitous around the world, and their importance in many cultures is indisputable. This paper empirically examines those factors that contribute to beauty pageant success in a cross-national setting. Our analysis pays particular attention to the role of market liberalism, i.e., economic freedom, in the process. The results indicate that nations with higher economic freedom scores are underrepresented among Miss Universe semifinalists after controlling for other relevant determinants.
Volume (Year): 16 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jeeh|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jakob De Haan & Susanna Lundström & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2006.
"Market-oriented institutions and policies and economic growth: A critical survey,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 157-191, 04.
- Jakob de Haan & Susanna Lundstroem & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2005. "Market oriented institutions and policies and economic growth: A critical survey," TWI Research Paper Series 5, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universitï¿½t Konstanz.
- Julie A. Nelson, 1995. "Feminism and Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 131-148, Spring.
- Nelson, Julie A., 1997. "Feminism, ecology and the philosophy of economics," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 155-162, February.
- Nelson, J.A., 1995. "Feminism, Ecology, and the Philosophy of Economics," Papers 95-12, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Nelson, J.A., 1995. "Feminism, Ecology, and the Philosophy of Economics," Department of Economics 95-12, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Stroup, Michael D., 2008. "Separating the influence of capitalism and democracy on women's well-being," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(3-4), pages 560-572, September.
- Strober, Myra H, 1994. "Rethinking Economics through a Feminist Lens," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 143-147, May.
- Robert Lawson & E. Stephenson, 2005. "Easiness, Attractiveness, and Faculty Evaluations: Evidence from RateMyProfessors.com," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 485-486, December.
- Berggren, Niclas, 2003. "The Benefits of Economic Freedom: A Survey," Ratio Working Papers 4, The Ratio Institute.
- J. Wilson Mixon Jr. & Gary H. Roseman, 2003. "Male-Female Life Expectancy and Economic Freedom," Journal of Private Enterprise, The Association of Private Enterprise Education, vol. 19(Fall 2003), pages 1-20. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)