Negotiation and Renegotiation of Optimal Financial Contracts under the Threat of Predation
This paper examines the effect of renegotiation on the ability of financial contracts between a lender and entrant to deter an incumbent's predation. In the presence of renegotiation, it is more difficult for the entrant to obtain financing and more difficult for the contract to deter predation. Contracts successfully deter predation in some cases, however, even if renegotiation occurs at a stage with symmetric information between the entrant and lender. Giving the entrant (constrained by limited liability) stronger bargaining power vis-a-vis the lender improves the efficiency of the optimal contract but the results concerning renegotiation are unchanged. Copyright 1996 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 44 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0022-1821|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas Gale & Martin Hellwig, 1985. "Incentive-Compatible Debt Contracts: The One-Period Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(4), pages 647-663.
- Mathias Dewatripont, 1988.
"Commitment through renegotiation-proof contacts with third parties,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9569, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mathias Dewatripont, 1988. "Commitment through Renegotiation-Proof Contracts with Third Parties," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/175990, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bensaid, Bernard & Gary-Bobo, Robert J, 1993.
"Commitment Value of Contracts under Renegotiation Constraints,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1423-29, November.
- Bensaid, B. & Gary-Bobo, R. J., . "Commitment value of contracts under renegotiation constraints," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1107, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mathias Dewatripont, 1988. "Commitment Through Renegotiation-Proof Contracts with Third Parties," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(3), pages 377-390.
- Bensaid, B. & Gary-Bobo, J., 1991.
"On the commitment value of contracts under renegotiation constraints,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1991002, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bensaid, B. & Gary-Bobo, R., 1993. "On the Commitment Value of Contracts Under Renegotiation Constraints," Papers 9302, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Michael L. Katz., 1991.
"Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments,"
Economics Working Papers
91-172, University of California at Berkeley.
- Michael L. Katz, 1991. "Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(3), pages 307-328, Autumn.
- Katz, Michael L., 1991. "Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt79b870w0, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1992. "The Principal-Agent Relationship with an Informed Principal, II: Common Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 1-42, January.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, B & Picard, P, 1995.
"Competing Vertical Structures: Precommitment and Renegotiation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 621-46, May.
- Caillaud Bernard & Jullien Bruno & Picard Pierre, 1991. "Competing vertical structures : precommitment and renegotiation," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9125, CEPREMAP.
- Paul Beaudry & Michel Poitevin, 1994.
"The Commitment Value of Contracts under Dynamic Renegotiation,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(4), pages 501-517, Winter.
- Beaudry, P. & Poitevin, M., 1992. "The Commitment Value of Contracts Under Dynamic Renegotiation," Cahiers de recherche 9202, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Beaudry, P. & Poitevin, M., 1992. "The Commitment Value of Contracts Under Dynamic Renegotiation," Cahiers de recherche 9202, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1995.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-443.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, March.
- Bolton, Patrick, 1990. "Renegotiation and the dynamics of contract design," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 303-310, May.
- Bolton, Patrick & Scharfstein, David S, 1990. "A Theory of Predation Based on Agency Problems in Financial Contracting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 93-106, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jindec:v:44:y:1996:i:3:p:325-43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.