Delegation with Incomplete and Renegotiable Contracts
It is well known that delegating the play of a game to an agent via incentive contractsmay serveas a commitment device and hence provide a strategic advantage. Previous literature has shown that any Nash equilibrium outcome of an extensive-form principals-only game can be supported as a sequential equilibrium outcome of the induced delegation game when contracts are unobservable and non-renegotiable. In this paper we characterize equilibriumoutcomes of delegation games with unobservable and incomplete contractswith andwithout renegotiation opportunities under the assumption that the principal cannot observe every history in the game when played by her agent. We show that incompleteness of the contracts restricts the set of outcomes to a subset of Nash equilibrium outcomes and renegotiation imposes further constraints. Yet, there is a large class of games in which non-subgame perfect equilibrium outcomes of the principals-only game can be supported even with renegotiable contracts, and hence delegation still has a bite.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://erf.ku.edu.tr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katz, Michael L., 1991.
"Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt79b870w0, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Michael L. Katz, 1991. "Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(3), pages 307-328, Autumn.
- Michael L. Katz., 1991. "Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments," Economics Working Papers 91-172, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bensaid, B. & Gary-Bobo, R. J., .
"Commitment value of contracts under renegotiation constraints,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1107, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bensaid, Bernard & Gary-Bobo, Robert J, 1993. "Commitment Value of Contracts under Renegotiation Constraints," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1423-29, November.
- Gatsios, Konstantine & Karp, Larry, 1989.
"Delegation Games in Customs Unions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
337, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bensaid, B. & Gary-Bobo, J., 1991.
"On the commitment value of contracts under renegotiation constraints,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1991002, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bensaid, B. & Gary-Bobo, R., 1993. "On the Commitment Value of Contracts Under Renegotiation Constraints," Papers 9302, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Caillaud Bernard & Jullien Bruno & Picard Pierre, 1991.
"Competing vertical structures : precommitment and renegotiation,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, B & Picard, P, 1995. "Competing Vertical Structures: Precommitment and Renegotiation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 621-46, May.
- Michael L. Katz, 2006. "Observable Contracts as Commitments: Interdependent Contracts and Moral Hazard," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 685-706, 09.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Tirole, Jean, 1991. "Perfect Bayesian equilibrium and sequential equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 236-260, April.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1993. "Designing institutions for monetary stability," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 53-84, December.
- Kockesen, L. & Ok, E., 1999.
"Strategic Delegation by Unobservable Incentive Contracts,"
99-11, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Levent Kockesen & Efe A. Ok, 2004. "Strategic Delegation By Unobservable Incentive Contracts," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 397-424, 04.
- Levent Kockese & Efe A. Ok, 2002. "Strategic delegation by unobservable incentive contracts," Discussion Papers 0102-26, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Judd, Kenneth L & Kalai, Ehud, 1991.
"Observable Contracts: Strategic Delegation and Cooperation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 551-59, August.
- Chaim Fershtman & Kenneth L. Judd & Ehud Kalai, 1990. "Observable Contracts: Strategic Delegation and Cooperation," Discussion Papers 879, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Beaudry, P. & Poitevin, M., 1993.
"Contract Renegotiation: A Simple Framework and Implications for Organization Theory,"
Cahiers de recherche
9332, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Paul Beaudry & Michel Poitevin, 1995. "Contract Renegotiation: A Simple Framework and Implications for Organization Theory," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(2), pages 302-35, May.
- Mathias Dewatripont, 1988.
"Commitment through renegotiation-proof contacts with third parties,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9569, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dewatripont, Mathias, 1988. "Commitment through Renegotiation-Proof Contracts with Third Parties," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 377-89, July.
- Mathias Dewatripont, 1988. "Commitment through Renegotiation-Proof Contracts with Third Parties," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/175990, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cho, In-Koo & Kreps, David M, 1987.
"Signaling Games and Stable Equilibria,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 179-221, May.
- Polo, Michele & Tedeschi, Piero, 2000. "Delegation games and side-contracting," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 101-116, March.
- Levent Koçkesen, 2007. "Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 539-552, June.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Judd, Kenneth L, 1987.
"Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 927-40, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:koc:wpaper:0803.. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sumru Oz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.