Consideration on the price stability – financial stability relationship in the context of financial globalization
This study is focused upon the involvement of the central banks regarding the fulfillment of the two main objectives: price stability and financial stability. These two key concepts are part of an old and ongoing debate that the current turmoil has revived, and that is whether monetary policy should aim, or not, at ensuring financial stability in parallel to its main objective of price stability. On both sides there are solid and well known arguments. In the beginning of the study I have considered a literature review with regard to price and financial stability issues. After that I have tried to shed some light (from a theoretical point of view) on the nature and dynamics of the fundamental interlinkages between the two aspects and there implications on the central banks and the economy. Finally I outline some general conclusions that have emerged in the present study.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: str. Spiru Haret, nr. 8, cod 600114, Bacău|
Web page: http://fsec.ub.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akram, Q. Farooq & Eitrheim, Øyvind, 2008.
"Flexible inflation targeting and financial stability: Is it enough to stabilize inflation and output?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1242-1254, July.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Øyvind Eitrheim, 2006. "Flexible inflation targeting and financial stability: Is it enough to stabilise inflation and output?," Working Paper 2006/07, Norges Bank.
- Michael D. Bordo & David C. Wheelock, 1998. "Price stability and financial stability: the historical record," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 41-62.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Dueker, Michael J. & Wheelock, David C., 2003. "Aggregate price shocks and financial stability: the United Kingdom 1796-1999," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 143-169, April.
- Michael D. Bordo & Michael J. Dueker & David C. Wheelock, 2001. "Aggregate price shocks and financial stability: the United Kingdom 1796-1999," Working Papers 2001-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Michael D. Bordo & Michael J. Dueker & David C. Wheelock, 2001. "Aggregate Price Shocks and Financial Stability: The United Kingdom 1796-1999," NBER Working Papers 8583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen, William A. & Wood, Geoffrey, 2006. "Defining and achieving financial stability," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 152-172, June.
- William A. Allen & Geoffrey Wood, 2005. "Defining and Achieving Financial Stability," FMG Special Papers sp160, Financial Markets Group.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2009. "Is Monetary Policy Effective during Financial Crises?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 573-577, May.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2009. "Is Monetary Policy Effective During Financial Crises?," NBER Working Papers 14678, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo & Michael J. Dueker & David C. Wheelock, 2002. "Aggregate Price Shocks and Financial Instability: A Historical Analysis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 40(4), pages 521-538, October.
- Michael D. Bordo & Michael J. Dueker & David C. Wheelock, 2000. "Aggregate Price Shocks and Financial Instability: An Historical Analysis," NBER Historical Working Papers 0125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo & Michael J. Dueker & David C. Wheelock, 2001. "Aggregate price shocks and financial instability: a historical analysis," Working Papers 2000-005, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Michael D. Bordo & Michael J. Dueker & David C. Wheelock, 2000. "Aggregate Price Shocks and Financial Instability: An Historical Analysis," NBER Working Papers 7652, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poloz, Stephen S., 2006. "Financial stability: A worthy goal, but how feasible?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3423-3427, December.
- Dupor, Bill, 2002. "Comment on: Monetary policy and asset prices," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 99-106, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bac:fsecub:10-15-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bogdan Nichifor)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.