Commodity Policy, Price Incentives, And The Growth In Per-Acre Yields
We estimate the influence of policy-induced price changes and of technology supply on North Carolina flue-cured tobacco yields. The decline in land rent and effective output price that accompanied a 1965 policy change from acreage allotments to poundage quotas caused a 12 percent decrease in yields. Farmer yields were more responsive to yield-increasing technologies under acreage allotments than under poundage quotas. Annual yield growth was 0.5 percent under poundage quotas and 4.32 percent under acreage allotments. The growth rate decline is attributable to changes in relative prices and to a slowdown in the supply of available technologies.
Volume (Year): 25 (1993)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Tae-Kyun & Hayes, Dermot J. & Hallam, Arne, 1992.
"Technology adoption under price uncertainty,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 245-253, January.
- Miranowski, John & Tegene, Abebayehu & Huffman, Wallace, 1988. "Dynamic Corn Supply Functions: A Model with Explicit Optimization," Staff General Research Papers 10699, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Love, H. Alan & Foster, William E., 1990. "Commodity Program Slippage Rates For Corn And Wheat," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(02), December.
- Hoag, Dana L. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Foster, William E., 1993. "Field-Level Measurements of Land Productivity and Program Slippage," Staff General Research Papers 10586, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Zilberman, David & Just, Richard E., 1984. "The Distributional Effects Of Land Controls In Agriculture," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:15194. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.