A Comparative Analysis of Antitrust Regulations in the Agricultural Sector in Israel, the US and the EU
The Israeli agricultural sector enjoys a far-reaching exemption from antitrust regulation. The exemption includes farmers and wholesalers of agricultural products and enables restrictive arrangements, which may reduce competition. A comparative analysis of antitrust regulation in Israel, the European Union and the United States shows that the exemption in Israel is relatively narrow with regard to the products included but much wider with regard to the exempted firms. There are economic arguments which support exempting farmers and farmers' associations from the prohibition of restrictive arrangements to enable cooperation in production, marketing, promotion and research, but the exemption of wholesalers of agricultural products could not be justified on the grounds of economic efficiency.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 12, Rehovot 76100|
Web page: http://departments.agri.huji.ac.il/economics/en/jrc.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mats Bergman, 1997. "Antitrust, Marketing Cooperatives, and Market Power," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 73-92, January.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Madhavan, Ananth N & Masson, Robert T & Lesser, William H, 1994. "Cooperation for Monopolization? An Empirical Analysis of Cartelization," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 161-75, February.
- Lawrence E. Haller, 1992. "Branded Product Marketing Strategies in the Cottage Cheese Market: Cooperative versus Proprietary Firms," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 016, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Paolo Buccirossi & StÈphan Marette & Alessandra Schiavina, 2002. "Competition policy and the agribusiness sector in the European Union," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(3), pages 373-397, July.
- Jacquemin, Alexis & Slade, Margaret E., 1989. "Cartels, collusion, and horizontal merger," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 415-473 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlorco:163880. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.