Role of Financial Variables in Explaining the Profitability of North Dakota Farm Supply and Grain Marketing Cooperatives
This paper examines the profitability of a balanced sample of 58 North Dakota farm supply and grain marketing cooperatives over the period 2003â€“ 2007. Our findings reveal that increased liquidity tended to allow farm supply cooperatives to operate more efficiently, but reduced the efficiency of cooperatives which provide farm supply and grain marketing services. These results suggest strategies for cooperatives during times of illiquidity and other credit constraints for achieving profitability objectives.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 12, Rehovot 76100|
Web page: http://departments.agri.huji.ac.il/economics/en/jrc.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boland, Michael A. & Golden, Bill B. & Tsoodle, Leah J., 2008.
"Agency Theory Issues in the Food Processing Industry,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(02), pages 623-634, August.
- Boland, Michael A. & Golden, Bill B. & Tsoodle, Leah J., 2008. "Agency Theory Issues in the Food Processing Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(02), August.
- David G. Barton & Ted C. Schroeder & Allen M. Featherstone, 1993. "Evaluating the feasibility of local cooperative consolidations: A case study," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(3), pages 281-294.
- McKee, Gregory J., 2008. "The Financial Performance of North Dakota Grain Marketing and Farm Supply Cooperatives," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 21.
- Boyd, Scott & Boland, Michael & Dhuyvetter, Kevin & Barton, David, 2007. "Determinants of Return on Equity in U.S. Local Farm Supply and Grain Marketing Cooperatives," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(01), pages 201-210, April.
- Boyd, Scott & Boland, Michael A. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Barton, David G., 2007. "Determinants of Return on Equity in U.S. Local Farm Supply and Grain Marketing Cooperatives," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(01), April.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-827, August.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K, 2001. "Liquidity Constrained Markets versus Debt Constrained Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 575-598, May.
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2006. "Firm Growth and Liquidity Constraints: A Dynamic Analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 139-156, October.
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2005. "Firm Growth and Liquidity Constraints: A Dynamic Analysis," GEMF Working Papers 2005-07, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- Westhoff, Patrick C., 2008. "Farm Commodity Prices: Why the Boom and What Happens Now?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 23(2).
- Mark, Darrell R. & Brorsen, B. Wade & Anderson, Kim B. & Small, Rebecca M., 2008. "Price Risk Management Alternatives for Farmers in the Absence of Forward Contracts with Grain Merchants," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 23(2).
- Kenkel, Philip L. & Spence, Becky & Gilbert, Amy, 2003. "Post Merger Financial Performance Of Oklahoma Cooperatives," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35023, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1991. "Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989. "Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rafat A. M. E. Soboh & Alfons Oude Lansink & Gerard Giesen & Gert van Dijk, 2009. "Performance Measurement of the Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives: The Gap between Theory and Practice," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 446-469, 09.
- Zvi Lerman & Claudia Parliament, 1990. "Comparative performance of cooperatives and investor-owned firms in US food industries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(6), pages 527-540.
- Sexton, Richard J. & Iskow, Julie, 1993. "What Do We Know About the Economic Efficiency of Cooperatives: An Evaluative Survey," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 8.
- Tim Hazledine, 1989. "Market power or relative efficiency? an examination of profitability performance in the Canadian food and beverage sector," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 25-42.
- Russell, Levi A. & Briggeman, Brian C. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2013. "Debt and Input Misallocation in Farm Supply and Marketing Cooperatives: A DEA Approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150445, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hailu, Getu & Jeffrey, Scott R. & Goddard, Ellen W. & Ng, Desmond W., 2005. "Regulatory Environment, Cooperative Structure, and Agency Costs for Cooperative Agribusiness Firms in Canada: Comparative Case Studies," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 36(02), July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlorco:163815. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.