New Insights Into Supermarket Promotions Via Scanner Data Analysis: The Case Of Milk
Supermarket companies expend significant resources and employ many promotional activities so as to convince consumers to shop their stores. This analysis investigates the promotional activities of a single retail food company to determine the price and promotion responsiveness of fluid milk products that differ by milkfat content. It utilizes weekly, store-level scanner data. Seasonality and advertising are significant determinants of retail sales of fluid milk. Own-price elasticities are negative, and cross-price elasticities are positive for all milk types and are significant and elastic in the case of 2% milk. Advertising effects are positive and statistically significant. The response to advertising is much more pronounced for reduced-fat milk types than it is for whole milk.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Kimberly L., 1995. "Fluid Milk Purchase Patterns In The South: Effects Of Use Of Nutrition Information And Household Characteristics," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Oral Capps & Rodolfo M. Nayga, 1991. "Demand for fresh beef products in supermarkets: A trial with scanner data," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 241-251.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 1992.
"Scanner Data in Supermarkets: Untapped Data Source for Agricultural Economists,"
Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 60(02), August.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 1993. "Scanner Data in Supermarkets: Untapped Data Source for Agricultural Economists," 1993 Conference (37th), February 9-11, 1993, Sydney, Australia 147767, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Capps, Oral & Lambregts, Johannes Adrianus, 1991. "Assessing Effects of Prices and Advertising on Purchases of Finfish and Shellfish in a Local Market in Texas," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 181-194, July.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Lambregts, Johannes Adrianus, 1991. "Assessing Effects Of Prices And Advertising On Purchases Of Finfish And Shellfish In A Local Market In Texas," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Gould, Brian W., 1996. "Factors Affecting U.S. Demand For Reduced-Fat Fluid Milk," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
- Eastwood, David B. & Gray, Morgan D. & Brooker, John R., 1994. "Supermarket Patronage: An Analysis Of Customer Counts Among Outlets Within A Geographic Area," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 25(2), September.
- Jensen, Kim, 1995. "Fluid Milk Purchase Patterns in the South: Effects of Use of Nutrition Information and Household Characteristics," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 644-657, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlofdr:26836. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.