An Economic Analysis Of Ozone Control In California'S San Joaquin Valley
This study estimates the benefits to agricultural and human health of reducing ozone in the San Joaquin Valley of California, and the costs of ozone control. The San Joaquin Valley's highly valued crops suffer from high ozone levels. Federal and state primary ozone standards are based on health effects, not effects on other sectors, and do not consider costs of attaining the standards. The methods here allow comparison of both total and marginal benefits and costs. The results suggest that net gains can be achieved for the entire valley by reducing ozone below 1990 levels, although results vary by region.
Volume (Year): 23 (1998)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Portney, Paul R. & Mullahy, John, 1986. "Urban air quality and acute respiratory illness," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 21-38, July.
- repec:reg:rpubli:98 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maloney, Michael T. & Yandle, Bruce, 1984. "Estimation of the cost of air pollution control regulation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Loehman, E. T. & Berg, S. V. & Arroyo, A. A. & Hedinger, R. A. & Schwartz, J. M. & Shaw, M. E. & Fahien, R. W. & De, V. H. & Fishe, R. P. & Rio, D. E., 1979. "Distributional analysis of regional benefits and cost of air quality control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 222-243, September.
- Arrow, Kenneth J. & Cropper, Maureen L. & Eads, George C. & Hahn, Robert W. & Lave, Lester B. & Noll, Roger G. & Portney, Paul R. & Russell, Milson & Schmalensee, Richard & Smith, V. Kerry & Stavins, , 1997. "Is there a role for benefit-cost analysis in environmental, health, and safety regulation?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 195-221, May.
- Kling, Catherine L., 2004.
"Emission Trading vs. Rigid Regulations in the Control of Vehicle Emissions,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
12333, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Catherine L. Kling, 1994. "Emission Trading vs. Rigid Regulations in the Control of Vehicle Emissions," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 174-188.
- Kling, Catherine L., 1994. "Emission Trading vs. Rigid Regulations in the Control of Vehicle Emissions," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1597, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Krupnick, Alan J. & Harrington, Winston & Ostro, Bart, 1990. "Ambient ozone and acute health effects: Evidence from daily data," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Brown, Deborah & Smith, Martha, 1984. "Crop substitution in the estimation of economic benefits due to ozone reduction," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 347-362, December.
- Adams, R. M. & Crocker, T. D. & Thanavibulchai, N., 1982. "An economic assessment of air pollution damages to selected annual crops in Southern California," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 42-58, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:31169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.