Preference for Risk Management Information Sources: Implications for Extension and Outreach Programming
This article examines farmersâ€™ preferences for various risk management information sources. Our results suggest that information from risk management experts, in-depth materials studied on their own, and popular press outlets tend to be preferred and are ranked highly by producers. Using a regression model to investigate farmer/farm attributes that affect preference for a particular risk management information source, we find that younger farmers with college education, higher leverage, assets greater than $1 million, risk-loving attitudes, and who have used professional services (marketing consultants) tend to prefer information from risk management experts, the Internet, and marketing clubs/other producers. On the other hand, producers who prefer self-study of educational materials and popular press information sources tend to be younger, with lower leverage levels, and have used fewer professional services.
Volume (Year): 37 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knight, Thomas O. & Coble, Keith H. & Patrick, George F. & Baquet, Alan E., 2003. "Risk Management Education: An Examination of Crop Producers' Participation in Recent Programs and of Their Desire for Additional Training," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(03), December.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Philip Garcia, 2001. "Measuring Producers' Risk Preferences: A Global Risk-Attitude Construct," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 993-1009.
- David C. Hall & Thomas O. Knight & Keith H. Coble & Alan E. Baquet & George F. Patrick, 2003. "Analysis of Beef Producers' Risk Management Perceptions and Desire for Further Risk Management Education," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 430-448.
- Davis, Todd D. & Patrick, George F. & Coble, Keith H. & Knight, Thomas O. & Baquet, Alan E., 2005. "Forward Pricing Behavior of Corn and Soybean Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(01), April.
- Gloy, Brent A. & Akridge, Jay T. & Whipker, Linda D., 2000. "The Usefulness And Influence Of Information Sources On Commercial Farms," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21735, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:arerjl:44742. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.