An Internet-Based Tool for Weather Risk Management
This paper introduces a web-based computer program designed to evaluate weather risk man-agement and weather insurance in the United States. The paper outlines the economics of weather risk in terms of agricultural production and household well-being; defines weather risk in terms of intensity, duration, and frequency; and illustrates the computer program use by comparing heat and precipitation risks at Ardmore, Oklahoma, and Ithaca, New York.
Volume (Year): 37 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, Sean D. & Diebold, Francis X., 2004.
"Weather forecasting for weather derivatives,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2004/10, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Sean D. Campbell & Francis X. Diebold, 2002. "Weather Forecasting for Weather Derivatives," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-42, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Sean D. Campbell & Francis X. Diebold, 2003. "Weather Forecasting for Weather Derivatives," NBER Working Papers 10141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hao, Jianqiang & Skees, Jerry R., 2003. "Structuring Institutions To Share Local Weather Risk Globally," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21973, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bardsley, Peter & Abey, Arun & Davenport, Scott V., 1984.
"The Economics Of Insuring Crops Against Drought,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 28(01), April.
- Peter Bardsley & Arun Abey & Scott V. Davenport, 1984. "The Economics Of Insuring Crops Against Drought," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 28(1), pages 1-14, 04.
- Hazell, P. B. R. & Oram, Peter A. & Chaherli, Nabil, 2001. "Managing droughts in the low-rainfall areas of the Middle East and North Africa:," EPTD discussion papers 78, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Vedenov, Dmitry V. & Barnett, Barry J., 2004. "Efficiency of Weather Derivatives as Primary Crop Insurance Instruments," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(03), December.
- Alfons Weersink & Szu-Hsuan Celia Chiang, 2006. "Pricing Weather Insurance with a Random Strike Price: The Ontario Ice-Wine Harvest," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(3), pages 696-709.
- M. Davis, 2001. "Pricing weather derivatives by marginal value," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(3), pages 305-308, March.
- John C. Quiggin, 1986.
"A Note On The Viability Of Rainfall Insurance,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 30(1), pages 63-69, 04.
- Martin, Steven W. & Barnett, Barry J. & Coble, Keith H., 2001. "Developing And Pricing Precipitation Insurance," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Dwight R. Sanders, 2004. "Pricing Weather Derivatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1005-1017.
- Peter Alaton & Boualem Djehiche & David Stillberger, 2002. "On modelling and pricing weather derivatives," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 1-20.
- Takeshi Sakurai & Thomas Reardon, 1997. "Potential Demand for Drought Insurance in Burkina Faso and Its Determinants," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1193-1207.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/3433 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:arerjl:44739. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.