The Impacts Of Lesser Developed Countries On Southern Region Agricultural Exports
Lesser developed countries (LDCs) serve as both customers and competitors for agricultural commodities produced in the Southern region of the United States. This paper focuses on the impacts of LDCs on exports of the major agricultural commodities produced in the South (cotton, rice, tobacco, poultry, and, to a lesser extent, citrus and peanuts). First the importance of LDCs as export markets for Southern commodities is explored. Then the role LDCs play as producers and exporters of these commodities is considered. Finally, these separate roles are combined into an index of LDC competitiveness with Southern agricultural commodities. Data analysis shows that Southern agricultural interests truly are divided over the role LDCs play in Southern agriculture, where poultry and rice rank highest, and peanuts lowest, in terms of a LDC markets/competition index. Thus, it is not surprising that calls for protectionism (e.g., the Bumpers' Amendment) should arise from the South.
Volume (Year): 22 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Earl Kellogg & Richard Kodl & Philip Garcia, 1986. "The Effects of Agricultural Growth on Agricultural Imports in Developing Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 68(5), pages 1347-1352.
- Houck, James P., 1986. "Foreign Agricultural Assistance: Ally Or Adversary," Staff Papers 13806, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Tweeten, Luther, 1986. "Impact of Domestic Policy on Comparative Advantage of Agriculture in the South," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 67-74, July.
- Tweeten, Luther G., 1986. "Impact Of Domestic Policy On Comparative Advantage Of Agriculture In The South," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Rosson, C. Parr, III, 2012. "C. Parr Rosson," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(03), August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:arerjl:31638. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.