Solution Of Spatial Trading Systems With Concave Cubic Programming
Standard spatial equilibrium activity analysis models, as developed by Takayama and Judge (1971), are based on linear supply and demand functions and fixed input-output coefficients. Such models are suitable for multiple market level trading systems where the fixed input-output coefficients are appropriate. A primal-dual price form of these models is developed in which the assumption of constant per unit costs of transformation is relaxed. In the case when the average cost curves of transformation are quadratic in nature the problem becomes one that will be termed cubic programming (that is, a cubic objective function and linear and/or quadratic constraints) which is solved in a concave region of the solution space. In the paper, the formulation of a simplified spatial equilibrium model with quadratic average costs of transformation is presented and solved. A discussion of possible applications of such a model is also presented.
Volume (Year): 33 (1989)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MacKinnon, James G., 1975.
"An algorithm for the generalized transportation problem,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 445-464, December.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1975. "An Algorithm for the Generalized Transportation Problem," Working Papers 184, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Piggott, Roley R. & Small, Annette M. & Dumsday, Robert G. & Wright, Vic, 1987. "Short-Run Costs And Throughput Variability For A Nsw Abattoir," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 31(01), April.
- B. S. Fisher, 1981. "The Impact of Changing Marketing Margins on Farm Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 63(2), pages 261-263.
- Larry J. Martin, 1981. "Quadratic Single And Multi-Commodity Models Of Spatial Equilibrium: A Simplified Exposition," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 29(1), pages 21-48, 02.
- Rowse, John, 1981. "Solving the generalized transportation problem," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 57-68, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ajaeau:22998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.