Does Technical Progress In Agriculture Alleviate Poverty? A Philippine Case Study
We examine the impact of technical progress in agriculture on changes in measured poverty and aggregate welfare in a developing country. Using a small general equilibrium model, we show how the economic components of an observed change in poverty can be isolated to expose the significance of intersectoral linkages and the economic roles of changes in relative commodity and factor prices. Variation in the measured rate and distribution of poverty alleviation depends somewhat on the choice of poverty measure, but more substantively on structural assumptions and the effects of policy interventions in agricultural markets.
Volume (Year): 39 (1995)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balisacan, Arsenio M, 1993.
"Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(3), pages 533-562, April.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M., 1991. "Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-Farm Employment and Rural Poverty in the Philippines," 1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia 145723, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Arsenio M. Balisacan, 1991. "Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-Farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines," UP School of Economics Discussion Papers 199101, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- David, Cristina C. & Otsuka, Keijiro, 1990. "The Modern Seed-Fertiliser Technology And Adoption Of Labour-Saving Technologies: The Philippine Case," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(02), August.
- Cristina C. David & Keijiro Otsuka, 1990. "The Modern Seed‐Fertiliser Technology And Adoption Of Labour‐Saving Technologies: The Philippine Case," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(2), pages 132-146, August.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May.
- Cassing, James H. & Warr, Peter G., 1985. "The distributional impact of a resource boom," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3-4), pages 301-319, May.
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-848, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)