Does Technical Progress In Agriculture Alleviate Poverty? A Philippine Case Study
We examine the impact of technical progress in agriculture on changes in measured poverty and aggregate welfare in a developing country. Using a small general equilibrium model, we show how the economic components of an observed change in poverty can be isolated to expose the significance of intersectoral linkages and the economic roles of changes in relative commodity and factor prices. Variation in the measured rate and distribution of poverty alleviation depends somewhat on the choice of poverty measure, but more substantively on structural assumptions and the effects of policy interventions in agricultural markets.
Volume (Year): 39 (1995)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-48, December.
- Cristina C. David & Keijiro Otsuka, 1990.
"The Modern Seed‐Fertiliser Technology And Adoption Of Labour‐Saving Technologies: The Philippine Case,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(2), pages 132-146, 08.
- David, Cristina C. & Otsuka, Keijiro, 1990. "The Modern Seed-Fertiliser Technology And Adoption Of Labour-Saving Technologies: The Philippine Case," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(02), August.
- Cassing, James H. & Warr, Peter G., 1985. "The distributional impact of a resource boom," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3-4), pages 301-319, May.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M, 1993.
"Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(3), pages 533-62, April.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M., 1991. "Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-Farm Employment and Rural Poverty in the Philippines," 1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia 145723, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ajaeau:22859. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.