HOW to Facilitate or Stifle Economic Development: The Role of Agriculture in Indonesia and the Philippines
Strikingly different patterns of agricultural growth and widely divergent results in terlnsof rural income. poverty. and employment have cmcrged in Southeast Asia. In the Philippiies, with someregional variations, a patterns of declining red farm wages,increasing landlessness in worsening poverty and diminishing employmctlt relative to demand for jobs has emerged despite some brief periods of improvcment since 1960. Sincc 1980, the employment and poverty situation has deteriorated sharply,particularly in areas concentrating on single traditional export crops (lkc sugar or coconuts) but also in amore general context. Indonesia (particularly in Java, which contains over 60 pcrcent of the population) succeeded in reversing a seemingly inevitable worsening of poverty and inequality in the rural economy with strong evidence indicating that rural real wages and income of small farmers rose substantially between the mid-1970sand late 1980s. Why such divergent patterns of rural development exist and the lessons that can be extracted from thc varied cxperiences of 1ndoncsia and the Philippines are subjects of this papcr.
|Date of creation:||1992|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in SOUTHEAST ASIAN JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS 2.1(1992): pp. 125-136|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arsenio M. Balisacan, 1991.
"Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-Farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines,"
UP School of Economics Discussion Papers
199101, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M, 1993. "Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(3), pages 533-62, April.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M., 1991. "Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-Farm Employment and Rural Poverty in the Philippines," 1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia 145723, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- David, Cristina C. & Otsuka, Keijiro, 1990.
"The Modern Seed-Fertiliser Technology And Adoption Of Labour-Saving Technologies: The Philippine Case,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(02), August.
- Cristina C. David & Keijiro Otsuka, 1990. "The Modern Seed‐Fertiliser Technology And Adoption Of Labour‐Saving Technologies: The Philippine Case," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(2), pages 132-146, 08.
- James, William & Roumasset, James, 1984. "Migration and the evolution of tenure contracts in newly settled regions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 147-162.
- Borland, Jeff & Yang, Xiaokai, 1992. "Specialization and a New Approach to Economic Organization and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 386-91, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14848. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.