A Study on Technical Efficiency of Wheat Cultivation in Haryana
The farm-specific technical efficiency of wheat cultivation in Haryana at the aggregate and disaggregate levels has been studied using stochastic frontier approach. A high degree of technical inefficiency in wheat farming has been reported, which is due to factors under farmâ€™s control. It has been argued that wheat-cultivating farms in the state can increase their production by 27 per cent without increasing the quantity of inputs, i.e. just by way of realizing efficiency. The estimates of technical efficiency have indicated that small-size farms are more efficient than medium- and large-size farms, negating thereby the myth that large-size farming is more profit/business-oriented.
Volume (Year): 20 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.geocities.com/aeraindia/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, Timothy G. & Scott Shonkwiler, J., 1986. "Alternative stochastic specifications of the frontier production function in the analysis of agricultural credit programs and technical efficiency," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 149-160, April.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Tyler, William G., 1978. "The stochastic frontier production function and average efficiency : An empirical analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 385-389, April.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Pinheiro, António E., 1993.
"Efficiency Analysis of Developing Country Agriculture: A Review of the Frontier Function Literature,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 88-101, April.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Pinheiro, Antonio E., 1993. "Efficiency Analysis Of Developing Country Agriculture: A Review Of The Frontier Function Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 22(1), April.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aerrae:47430. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.