Factors Influencing Group Repayment Performance in Haryana: Application of Tobit Model
Microfinance through self-help groups (SHGs) has evolved as a mechanism for social inclusion of the rural poor. This paper has identified the factors that influence the repayment performance of the SHGs in India, by conducting a study on a sample of 120 SHG members from 60 dairy SHGs and 60 non-members selected from the state of Haryana. Results of Tobit regression have shown that peer monitoring, group size and female percentage have positive influence, whereas homogeneity and loan amount have negative influence on the repayment performance of the SHGs. The study has concluded that if the essence of self-help and cooperation is fostered and monitored properly, the poor can also repay.
Volume (Year): 24 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.geocities.com/aeraindia/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zeller, Manfred, 1996. "Determinants of repayment performance in credit groups," FCND discussion papers 13, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ghatak, Maitreesh & Guinnane, Timothy W., 1999.
"The economics of lending with joint liability: theory and practice,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 195-228, October.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Discussion Papers 98-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Ghatak, M. & Guinnane, T.W., 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Papers 791, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Working Papers 791, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Sharma, Manohar & Zeller, Manfred, 1997. "Repayment performance in group-based credit programs in Bangladesh: An empirical analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1731-1742, October.
- Wydick, Bruce, 1999. "Can Social Cohesion Be Harnessed to Repair Market Failures? Evidence from Group Lending in Guatemala," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(457), pages 463-75, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aerrae:109416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.