Fear of Flying? Economic Analysis of Airline Safety
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Nancy L. Rose, 1991. "Fear of Flying? Economic Analysis of Airline Safety," NBER Working Papers 3784, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
References listed on IDEAS
- Arnold Barnett & Mary K. Higgins, 1989. "Airline Safety: The Last Decade," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Golbe, Devra L, 1986. "Safety and Profits in the Airline Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 305-318, March.
- Arnold Barnett & Anthony J. Lofaso, 1983. "After the Crash: The Passenger Response to the DC-10 Disaster," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(11), pages 1225-1236, November.
- Severin Borenstein, 1992. "The Evolution of U.S. Airline Competition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 45-73, Spring.
- Mitchell, Mark L & Maloney, Michael T, 1989. "Crisis in the Cockpit? The Role of Market Forces in Promoting Air Travel Safety," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(2), pages 329-355, October.
- Karels, Gordon V, 1989. "Market Forces and Aircraft Safety: An Extension," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(2), pages 345-354, April.
- D. Mark Kennet, 1993. "Did Deregulation Affect Aircraft Engine Maintenance? An Empirical Policy Analysis," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(4), pages 542-558, Winter.
- Chalk, Andrew, 1986. "Market Forces and Aircraft Safety: The Case of the DC-10," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(1), pages 43-60, January.
- Chalk, Andrew J, 1987. "Market Forces and Commercial Aircraft Safety," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 61-81, September.
- Rose, Nancy L, 1990. "Profitability and Product Quality: Economic Determinants of Airline Safety Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 944-964, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dionne, Georges & Gagne, Robert & Gagnon, Francois & Vanasse, Charles, 1997.
"Debt, moral hazard and airline safety An empirical evidence,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 379-402, August.
- Dionne, G. & Gagne, R. & Gagnon, F. & Vanasse, C., 1993. "Debt, Moral Hazard and Airline Safety : An Empirical Evidence," Cahiers de recherche 9309, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dionne, G. & Gagne, R. & Gagnon, F. & Vanasse, C., 1994. "Debts, moral hazard and airline safety : an empirica evidence," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9419, CEPREMAP.
- Ito, Harumi & Lee, Darin, 2005.
"Assessing the impact of the September 11 terrorist attacks on U.S. airline demand,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 75-95.
- Harumi Ito & Darin Lee, 2003. "Assessing the Impact of the September 11 Terrorist Attacks on U.S. Airline Demand," Working Papers 2003-16, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Bosch, Jean-Claude & Eckard, E Woodrow & Singal, Vijay, 1998. "The Competitive Impact of Air Crashes: Stock Market Evidence," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 503-519, October.
- Andreas Papatheodorou & Nikos Platis, 2007. "Airline Deregulation, Competitive Environment and Safety," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 97(1), pages 221-242, January-F.
- Walker, Thomas John & Walker, Marcus Glenn & Thiengtham, Dolruedee Nuttanontra & Pukthuanthong, Kuntara, 2014. "The role of aviation laws and legal liability in aviation disasters: A financial market perspective," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 51-65.
- Button, Kenneth & Clarke, Audrey & Palubinskas, Ginta & Stough, Roger & Thibault, Marc, 2004. "Conforming with ICAO safety oversight standards," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 249-255.
- Rhoades, Dawna L & Waguespack, Blaise, 2000. "Judging a book by it's cover: the relationship between service and safety quality in US national and regional airlines," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 87-94.
- Raghavan, Sunder & Rhoades, Dawna L., 2005. "Revisiting the relationship between profitability and air carrier safety in the US airline industry," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 283-290.
- Liou, James J.H. & Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung & Chang, Han-Chun, 2007. "Airline safety measurement using a hybrid model," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 243-249.
- Kaplanski, Guy & Levy, Haim, 2010. "Sentiment and stock prices: The case of aviation disasters," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 174-201, February.
- repec:eee:ecotra:v:10:y:2017:i:c:p:18-22 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peck, Milo W. & Scheraga, Carl A. & Boisjoly, Russell P., 1998. "Assessing the relative efficiency of aircraft maintenance technologies: an application of data envelopment analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 261-269, May.
- Chang, Yu-Hern & Yeh, Chung-Hsing, 2004. "A new airline safety index," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 369-383, May.
- Sobieralski, Joseph B., 2013. "The cost of general aviation accidents in the United States," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 19-27.
- repec:kap:transp:v:45:y:2018:i:1:d:10.1007_s11116-016-9730-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2007:i:6:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wang, Zuozheng & Hofer, Christian & Dresner, Martin E., 2013. "Financial condition, safety investment and accident propensity in the US airline industry: A structural analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 24-32.
- Button, Kenneth & Drexler, Jonathan, 2006. "Are measures of air-misses a useful guide to air transport safety policy?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 168-174.
More about this item
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aea:jecper:v:6:y:1992:i:2:p:75-94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael P. Albert). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/aeaaaea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.