What shapes local public transportation in Europe? Economics, Mobility, Institutions, and Geography
AbstractThis paper analyzes the factors that explain supply and demand of local public transportation. Together with variables related to economics and mobility, we consider variables reflecting institutional characteristics and geographical patterns. Being a political capital increases supply and demand of local public transportation, inequality is associated with higher supply, and contracting out reduces supply. Furthermore, our regional analysis allows us capturing the effect of geographical characteristics and different traditions of government intervention. In all, we provide first evidence on the role played by institutional and regional characteristics useful to achieve a better understanding of local public transportation supply and demand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series RSCAS Working Papers with number 2009/34.
Date of creation: 03 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Urban transportation; Local government; Mobility; Institutions and Geography;
Other versions of this item:
- Albalate, Daniel & Bel, Germà, 2010. "What shapes local public transportation in Europe? Economics, mobility, institutions, and geography," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 775-790, September.
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2010-02-20 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-PBE-2010-02-20 (Public Economics)
- NEP-URE-2010-02-20 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lopes, Carlos Eduardo M. & Moita, Rodrigo Menon S., 2013. "Demanda por Meios de Transporte na Grande São Paulo: Uma Análise de Políticas Públicas," Insper Working Papers wpe_316, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.