Ownership, Contractual Practices and Technical Efficiency: The Case of Urban Public Transport in France
AbstractThis paper investigates the impact of ownership structure and contractual choices on technical efficiency in the French urban public transport sector. The central proposition, which relies on classical contract theory arguments, is that ownership regime and contractual practices are key determinants of performance. To test this proposition, the authors use an original panel data set covering 135 different French urban transport networks over the period 1995-2002 and apply a stochastic frontier methodology. The econometric results corroborate their proposition that the technical efficiency of urban public transport operators depends on the ownership regime and on the type of contract governing their transactions. © 2007 LSE and the University of Bath
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and University of Bath in its journal Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 41 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-journals/jtep
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Matthias Walter, 2011. "Some Determinants of Cost Efficiency in German Public Transport," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 45(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Rui Cunha Marques & Carlos Pestana Barros, 2011.
"Performance of European airports: regulation, ownership and managerial efficiency,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 29-37.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Rui Cunha Marques, 2008. "Performance of European Airports: Regulation, Ownership and Managerial Efficiency," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/25, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Amaral, Miguel, 2008. "Public vs private management of public utilities - The case of urban public transport in Europe," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 85-90, January.
- Cambini Carlo & Filippini Massimo & Piacenza Massimiliano & Vannoni Davide, 2011. "Corporatization and Firm Performance: Evidence from Publicly-Provided Local Utilities," Review of Law & Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 191-213, July.
- de Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Staat, Matthias, 2008.
"Transit costs and cost efficiency: Bootstrapping non-parametric frontiers,"
Research in Transportation Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 53-64, January.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Matthias Staat, 2008. "Transit Costs and Cost Efficiency: Bootstrapping Nonparametric Frontiers," Working Papers 2008-ECO-08, IESEG School of Management.
- De Borger B. & Kerstens K. & Staat M., 2008. "Transit costs and cost efficiency: bootstrapping non-parametric frontiers," Working Papers 2008012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Andrea Boitani & Marcella Nicolini & Carlo Scarpa, 2009.
"Do Competition and Ownership Matter? Evidence from Local Public Transport in Europe,"
0911, SIET Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica.
- Andrea Boitani & Marcella Nicolini & Carlo Scarpa, 2013. "Do competition and ownership matter? Evidence from local public transport in Europe," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(11), pages 1419-1434, April.
- Marcella Nicolini & Andrea Boitani & Carlo Scarpa, 2010. "Do Competition and Ownership Matter? Evidence from Local Public Transport in Europe," Working Papers 2010.9, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Francesco, Gastaldi & Lucia, Quaglino & Carlo, Stagnaro, 2012.
"Il trasporto pubblico locale e la concorrenza. Cambiare paradigma per salvare il servizio: il caso ligure
[Local Public Transportation and Competition. Changing Paradigm to Save the Service: The Ca," MPRA Paper 49464, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Augustin, Katrin & Walter, Matthias, 2010. "Operator changes through competitive tendering: Empirical evidence from German local bus transport," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 36-44.
- Karlaftis, Matthew G. & Tsamboulas, Dimitrios, 2012. "Efficiency measurement in public transport: Are findings specification sensitive?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 392-402.
- Axel Gautier & Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2008.
"Contract Renewal as an Incentive Device. An Application to the French Urban Public Transport Sector,"
CREPP Working Papers
0805, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Axel Gautier & Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2013. "Contract Renewal as an Incentive Device. An Application to the French Urban Public Transport Sector," Review of Economics and Institutions, Università di Perugia, vol. 4(1).
- GAUTIER, Axel & YVRANDE-BILLON, Anne, 2008. "Contract renewal as an incentive device. An application to the French urban public transport sector," CORE Discussion Papers 2008068, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Daniel Albalate & Germà Bel & Joan Calzada, 2010. "Urban transport governance reform in Barcelona," IREA Working Papers 201009, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jun 2010.
- Germa Bel & Daniel Albalate, 2009.
"What shapes local public transportation in Europe? Economics, Mobility, Institutions, and Geography,"
RSCAS Working Papers
2009/34, European University Institute.
- Albalate, Daniel & Bel, Germà, 2010. "What shapes local public transportation in Europe? Economics, mobility, institutions, and geography," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 775-790, September.
- Pestana Barros, Carlos & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2010. "Productivity changes in Portuguese bus companies," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 295-302, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.