Competitive Bargaining Equilibria
AbstractWe propose a simple bargaining procedure, the equilibrium of which converges to the Walrasian allocation as the agents become increasingly patient. We thus establish that the competitive outcome obtains even if agents have market power and are not price-takers. Moreover, where in other bargaining protocols the final outcome depends on bargaining power or relative impatience, the outcome here is determinate and depends only on preferences and endowments. This procedure has therefore important implications for policy applications compared to standard bargaining rules.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1) in its series Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques with number b04067.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Alternating-offers bargaining; Walrasian equilibrium; price-setting; quantity constraints.;
Other versions of this item:
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- D41 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Perfect Competition
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-03-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2005-03-13 (Business Economics)
- NEP-GTH-2005-03-13 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2005-03-13 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benny Moldovanu, 2002. "How to Dissolve a Partnership," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 158(1), pages 66-, March.
- Moldovanu, Benny & Fieseler, Karsten & Kittsteiner, Thomas, 1999.
"Partnerships, Lemons and Efficient Trade,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
01-18, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- Volij, Oscar & Serrano, Roberto, 2000.
"Walrasian Allocations Without Price-Taking Behavior,"
Staff General Research Papers
5168, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Serrano, Roberto & Volij, Oscar, 2000. "Walrasian Allocations without Price-Taking Behavior," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 79-106, November.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Pissarides, Christopher A., 1999.
"New developments in models of search in the labor market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 39, pages 2567-2627
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher, 1999. "New Developments in Models of Search in the Labour Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 2053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part I: Characterization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 785-806, July.
- Takashi Kunimoto & Roberto Serrano, 2002.
"Bargaining and Competition Revisited,"
2002-14, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Peter Cramton & Robert Gibbons & Paul Klemperer, 1987.
"Dissolving a Partnership Efficiently,"
Papers of Peter Cramton
87econ, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 09 Jun 1998.
- Daron Acemoglu & Robert Shimer, 1999.
"Efficient Unemployment Insurance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(5), pages 893-928, October.
- Acemoglu, D. & Shimer, R., 1997. "Efficient Unemployment Insurance," Working papers 97-9, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Robert Shimer, 1998. "Efficient Unemployment Insurance," NBER Working Papers 6686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Shimer, Robert, 1999.
"Holdups and Efficiency with Search Frictions,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(4), pages 827-49, November.
- Merlo, Antonio & Wilson, Charles A, 1995. "A Stochastic Model of Sequential Bargaining with Complete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(2), pages 371-99, March.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 2005. "Bargaining and Markets," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000515, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Hosios, Arthur J, 1990. "On the Efficiency of Matching and Related Models of Search and Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 279-98, April.
- Yildiz, Muhamet, 2003.
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 465-487, November.
- Sutton, John, 1986. "Non-cooperative Bargaining Theory: An Introduction," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 709-24, October.
- Julio Dvila & Jan Eeckhout, 2002. "Is Bargaining over Prices Efficient?," Penn CARESS Working Papers 0915aad416461c93559b9430d, Penn Economics Department.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part II: Existence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 807-18, July.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00633592 is not listed on IDEAS
- Julio Davila & Jan Eeckhout & Cesar Martinelli, 2009.
"Bargaining Over Public Goods,"
0901, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Julio Davila & Jan Eeckhout & César Martinelli, 2008. "Bargaining over public goods," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b08041, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Julio Davila & Jan Eeckhout & César Martinelli, 2008. "Bargaining over public goods," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00289435, HAL.
- Davila Muro, Julio, 2009. "Bargaining over public goods," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.1/29163, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Julio Davila & Jan Eeckhout & C. Martinelli, 2009. "Bargaining over Public Goods," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00633592, HAL.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00289435 is not listed on IDEAS
- Penta, Antonio, 2011. "Multilateral bargaining and Walrasian equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 417-424.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.