Value of Beef Steak Branding: Hedonic Analysis of Retail Scanner Data
AbstractConsumers rely on experience and credence attributes when purchasing beef from retailers. It is essential for all beef industry sectors to recognize the complexity of consumer buying behavior. A hedonic model is estimated to determine if there are incentives to brand beef steaks, the types of brands that entertain price premiums, and the level of existing premiums. Most branded steaks garnered premiums along with organic claims, religious processing claims, and premium cuts. Factors influencing brand value were new brands targeting emerging consumer trends, brands with regional prominence, and brands positioned as special label, program/breed specific production, and store labels.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 35146.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, August 2012, vol. 41 no. 2, pp. 260-273
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
beef steak; brand premium; hedonic modeling;
Other versions of this item:
- Schulz, Lee L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & White, Katharine L., 2012. "Value of Beef Steak Branding: Hedonic Analysis of Retail Scanner Data," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 41(2), August.
- Schulz, Lee L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & White, Katharine L., 2010. "Value Of Beef Steak Branding: Hedonic Analysis Of Retail Scanner Data," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61596, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abidoye, Babatunde O. & Bulut, Harun & Lawrence, John D. & Mennecke, Brian & Townsend, Anthony M., 2011. "U.S. Consumersâ€™ Valuation of Quality Attributes in Beef Products," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 43(01), February.
- Menkhaus, Dale J. & Borden, George W. & Whipple, Glen D. & Hoffman, Elizabeth & Field, Ray A., 1992. "An Empirical Application Of Laboratory Experimental Auctions In Marketing Research," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Eve J. Froehlich & Jared G. Carlberg & Clement E. Ward, 2009. "Willingness-to-Pay for Fresh Brand Name Beef," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 57(1), pages 119-137, 03.
- Thilmany, Dawn D. & Grannis, Jennifer L. & Sparling, Edward, 2003. "Regional Demand For Natural Beef Products In Colorado: Target Consumers And Willingness To Pay," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 21(2).
- Frode Alfnes & Kyrre Rickertsen, 2003. "European Consumers' Willingness to Pay for U.S. Beef in Experimental Auction Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 396-405.
- Boland, Michael A. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2002. "Marginal Value Of Quality Attributes For Natural And Organic Beef," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
- Umberger, Wendy J. & Feuz, Dillon M. & Calkins, Chris R. & Sitz, Bethany M., 2003. "Country-Of-Origin Labeling Of Beef Products: U.S. Consumers' Perceptions," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(03), November.
- Unnevehr, Laurian J. & Bard, Sharon K., 1993. "Beef Quality: Will Consumers Pay For Less Fat?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Darby, Kim & Batte, Marvin T. & Ernst, Stanley C. & Roe, Brian E., 2006. "Willingness to pay for locally produced foods: A customer intercept study of direct market and grocery store shoppers," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21336, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2007. "Hedonic Retail Beef and Pork Product Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(01), April.
- William F. Hahn & Kenneth H. Mathews, 2007. "Characteristics and hedonic pricing of differentiated beef demands," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(3), pages 377-393, 05.
- Jayson L. Lusk & John A. Fox & Ted C. Schroeder & James Mintert & Mohammad Koohmaraie, 2001.
"In-Store Valuation of Steak Tenderness,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 539-550.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2003. "Estimating Consumer Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin Labeling," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- Martinez, Stephen W., 2008. "Estimating the Value of Retail Beef Product Brands and Other Attributes," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6455, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wu, De-Min, 1973. "Alternative Tests of Independence Between Stochastic Regressors and Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 733-50, July.
- Ward, Clement E. & Lusk, Jayson L. & Dutton, Jennifer M., 2008. "Implicit Value of Retail Beef Product Attributes," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(3), December.
- Taylor, Mykel R. & Tonsor, Glynn T., 2013. "Revealed Demand for Country-of-Origin Labeling of Meat in the United States," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(2), August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.