Regional Demand For Natural Beef Products In Colorado: Target Consumers And Willingness To Pay
AbstractInterest and sales in natural meats continue to grow, with increased offerings in supermarkets and other mainstream marketing channels. Producers interested in direct marketing also consider natural meats an attractive niche market. This study focuses on the market for natural meat, including freezer beef, in Colorado with special attention to whether consumers in different areas of the state differ in their price and product choices. Findings show that about 20% of Front Range Colorado consumers purchase at least some of their meat from specialty shops or natural food stores, while 24% of rural, Western Slope consumers buy at least some meat directly from producers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia in its journal Journal of Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
consumer targeting; freezer beef; natural beef; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jayson L. Lusk & Jutta Roosen & John A. Fox, 2003.
"Demand for Beef from Cattle Administered Growth Hormones or Fed Genetically Modified Corn: A Comparison of Consumers in France, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 16-29.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Roosen, Jutta & Fox, John A., 2001. "Demand For Beef From Cattle Administered Growth Hormones Or Fed Genetically Modified Corn: A Comparison Of Consumers In France, Germany, The United Kingdom, And The United States," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20684, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Boland, Michael A. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2002. "Marginal Value Of Quality Attributes For Natural And Organic Beef," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
- Fox, John A. & Shogren, J. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 2003.
"Cvm-X: Calibrating Contingent Values with Experimental Auction Markets,"
Staff General Research Papers
11935, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John A. Fox & Jason F. Shogren & Dermot J. Hayes & James B. Kliebenstein, 1998. "CVM-X: Calibrating Contingent Values with Experimental Auction Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 455-465.
- Fox, John A. & Shogren, Jason F. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1998. "Cvm-X: Calibrating Contingent Values with Experimental Auction Markets," Staff General Research Papers 1311, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Schulz, Lee L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & White, Katharine L., 2010.
"Value Of Beef Steak Branding: Hedonic Analysis Of Retail Scanner Data,"
2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado
61596, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Schulz, Lee L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & White, Katharine L., 2012. "Value of Beef Steak Branding: Hedonic Analysis of Retail Scanner Data," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 41(2), August.
- Schulz, Lee L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & White, Katharine L., 2012. "Value of Beef Steak Branding: Hedonic Analysis of Retail Scanner Data," Staff General Research Papers 35146, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Brian Mennecke & Anthony Townsend & Dermot J. Hayes & Steven M. Lonergan, 2006. "Study of the Factors that Influence Consumer Attitudes Toward Beef Products Using the Conjoint Market Analysis Tool, A," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 06-wp425, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Wendy J. Umberger & Dawn D. Thilmany McFadden & Amanda R. Smith, 2009. "Does altruism play a role in determining U.S. consumer preferences and willingness to pay for natural and regionally produced beef?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 268-285.
- Mennecke, Brian & Townsend, Anthony & Hayes, Dermot J. & Lonergan, Steven, 2006. "A Study of the Factors That Influence Consumer Attitudes Toward Beef Products Using the Conjoint Market Analysis Tool," Staff General Research Papers 12650, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.