Determinacy and Stability under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria
AbstractThis paper studies relationships between the local determinacy of a stationary equilibrium in the perfect foresight dynamics, and its local stability in dynamics arising from econometric learning procedures. Attention is focused on linear scalar economies where agents forecast only one period ahead, and with an arbitrary, but fixed, number of predetermined variables. In such a framework, it is well known that there are no clear links between the determinacy of the stationary state in the perfect foresight dynamics on the levels of the state variable, and its stability under learning. The paper emphasizes, however, that this is not the right perfect foresight dynamics to look at whenever agents try to learn the coefficients of the perfect foresight dynamics restricted to an eigenspace of lower dimension. Indeed the paper introduces a growth rate perfect foresight dynamics on these coefficients and proves equivalence between determinacy in that dynamics and stability under learning provided that a simple sign condition is satisfied.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00731065.
Date of creation: Feb 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Journal of Economic Theory, 2002, 102, 2, 354-374
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00731065
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
rational expectations; determinacy; learning; expectational stability;
Other versions of this item:
- Gauthier, Stephane, 2002. "Determinacy and Stability under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 354-374, February.
- Gauthier, S., 1999. "Determinacy and Stability Under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a46, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Gauthier, S., 1999. "Determinacy and Stability under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria," DELTA Working Papers 1999-22, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, George W., 1989. "The fragility of sunspots and bubbles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 297-317, March.
- Woodford, Michael, 1986.
"Learning to Believe in Sunspots,"
86-16, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Evans, G.W. & Honkapohja, S., 1998.
"Stochastic Gradient Learning in the Cobweb Model,"
University of Helsinki, Department of Economics
438, Department of Economics.
- Reichlin, Pietro, 1986. "Equilibrium cycles in an overlapping generations economy with production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-102, October.
- Grandmont Jean-michel & Laroque Guy, 1985.
"Stability of cycles and expectations,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Jean-Michel Grandmont, 1998. "Expectations Formation and Stability of Large Socioeconomic Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 741-782, July.
- Duffy John, 1994. "On Learning and the Nonuniqueness of Equilibrium in an Overlapping Generations Model with Fiat Money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 541-553, December.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00586749 is not listed on IDEAS
- McCallum, Bennett T., 2004.
"On the relationship between determinate and MSV solutions in linear RE models,"
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 55-60, July.
- Bennett McCallum, 2004. "On the Relationship Between Determinate and MSV Solutions in Linear RE Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bennett McCallum, . "On the Relationship Between Determinate and MSV Solutions in Linear RE Models," GSIA Working Papers 2003-E78, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Desgranges, Gabriel & Negroni, Giorgio, 2003.
"Expectations Coordination On A Sunspot Equilibrium: An Eductive Approach,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(01), pages 7-41, February.
- G. Desgranges & G. Negroni, 2001. "Expectations Coordination on a Sunspot Equilibrium: an Eductive Approach," THEMA Working Papers 2001-13, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Seonghoon Cho & Antonio Moreno, 2006. "Expectational Stability in Multivariate Models," Faculty Working Papers 06/08, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Jara-Moroni, Pedro, 2012. "Rationalizability in games with a continuum of players," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 668-684.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00574957 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stéphane Gauthier, 2004.
"Determinacy in Linear Rational Expectations Models,"
- Gauthier, Stephane, 2004. "Determinacy in linear rational expectations models," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 815-830, November.
- Roger Guesnerie & Pedro Jara-Moroni, 2011. "Expectational coordination in simple economic contexts," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 205-246, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.