Assessing the link between price and financial stability
AbstractThis paper aims at investigating first the (possibly time-varying) empirical relationship between the level and conditional variances of price and financial stability, and second, the effects of macro and policy variables on this relationship in the United States and the Eurozone. Three empirical methods are used to examine the relevance of A.J Schwartz’s conventional wisdom that price stability would yield financial stability. Using simple correlations, VAR and Dynamic Conditional Correlations, we reject the hypothesis that price stability is positively correlated to financial stability. We then discuss the empirical appropriateness of the leaning against the wind monetary policy approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE) in its series Documents de Travail de l'OFCE with number 2014-02.
Date of creation: Feb 2014
Date of revision:
Price stability; Financial stability; DCC-GARCH; VAR;
Other versions of this item:
- Christophe Blot & Jerome Creel & Paul Hubert & Fabien Labondance & Francesco Saraceno, 2013. "Assessing the Link between Price and Financial Stability," Working papers wpaper33, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project.
- Christophe Blot & Jérôme Creel & Fabien Labondance & Francesco Saraceno & Paul Hubert, 2014. "Assessing the link between Price and Financial Stability," Sciences Po publications 2014-02, Sciences Po.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-02-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2014-02-15 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2014-02-15 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2014-02-15 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-SOG-2014-02-15 (Sociology of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudio Borio, 2012. "The financial cycle and macroeconomics: What have we learnt?," BIS Working Papers 395, Bank for International Settlements.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos, 2012. "Dynamic Correlations of Sovereign Bond Yield Spreads in the Euro zone and the Role of Credit Rating Agencies' Downgrades," MPRA Paper 43013, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Haroon Mumtaz & Paolo Surico, 2012. "Evolving International Inflation Dynamics: World And Country-Specific Factors," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 716-734, 08.
- Jérôme Creel & Paul Hubert & Fabien Labondance, 2013.
"Financial stability and economic performance,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2013-24, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Cai, Yijie & Chou, Ray Yeutien & Li, Dan, 2009. "Explaining international stock correlations with CPI fluctuations and market volatility," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2026-2035, November.
- Philip Lowe & Claudio Borio, 2002. "Asset prices, financial and monetary stability: exploring the nexus," BIS Working Papers 114, Bank for International Settlements.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2012. "Characterising the financial cycle: don't lose sight of the medium term!," BIS Working Papers 380, Bank for International Settlements.
- Holló, Dániel & Kremer, Manfred & Lo Duca, Marco, 2012. "CISS - a composite indicator of systemic stress in the financial system," Working Paper Series 1426, European Central Bank.
- Michael D. Bordo & David C. Wheelock, 1998. "Price stability and financial stability: the historical record," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 41-62.
- William R. White, 2006. "Is price stability enough?," BIS Working Papers 205, Bank for International Settlements.
- Anna Creti & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2012.
"On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility,"
2012-20, CEPII research center.
- Creti, Anna & Joëts, Marc & Mignon, Valérie, 2013. "On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 16-28.
- Anna Creti & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2012. "On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-42, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Olivier J. Blanchard & Paolo Mauro, 2010.
"Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy,"
IMF Staff Position Notes
2010/03, International Monetary Fund.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2003.
"Has the Business Cycle Changed and Why?,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2002, Volume 17, pages 159-230
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yang, Jian & Zhou, Yinggang & Wang, Zijun, 2009. "The stock-bond correlation and macroeconomic conditions: One and a half centuries of evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 670-680, April.
- Disyatat, Piti, 2010.
"Inflation targeting, asset prices, and financial imbalances: Contextualizing the debate,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 145-155, September.
- Piti Disyatat, 2005. "Inflation targeting, asset prices and financial imbalances: conceptualizing the debate," BIS Working Papers 168, Bank for International Settlements.
- Piti Disyatat, 2005. "Inflation Targeting, Asset Prices, and Financial Imbalances: Conceptualizing the Debate," Working Papers 2005-09, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Michael Woodford, 2012. "Inflation Targeting and Financial Stability," NBER Working Papers 17967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen, William A. & Wood, Geoffrey, 2006. "Defining and achieving financial stability," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 152-172, June.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Les enjeux du triple mandat de la BCE
by Laurence Duboys Fresney in OFCE le blog on 2014-07-16 14:22:27
- Dealing with the ECBâs triple mandate
by Laurence Duboys Fresney in OFCE le blog on 2014-07-18 10:34:37
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.