Efficiency of stability-oriented institutions: the European case
AbstractStability-oriented European institutions correspond to the general prescriptions of the ‘new macroeconomics consensus’. This contribution provides an assessment of the pros and cons of these institutions in terms of macro stabilisation and exchange-rate swings drawing on different scenarios. We argue that the institutions which have been associated with the Euro – limits on public deficits and a conservative central bank – have somewhat jeopardized the efficiency of this new exchange-rate regime. Adaptation of institutions is thus needed: either cooperation or coordination may enhance European welfare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE) in its series Documents de Travail de l'OFCE with number 2007-06.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
monetary policy; fiscal policy; central bank; stability pact; time-consistency; exchange rate; cooperation; coordination;
Other versions of this item:
- Fabrice Capoen & Jérôme Creel, 2007. "Efficiency of stability-oriented institutions: the European case," Sciences Po publications NÂ°2007-06, Sciences Po.
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- H60 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-03-17 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2007-03-17 (European Economics)
- NEP-IFN-2007-03-17 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2007-03-17 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2007-03-17 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2005.
"Non-Linearities in the Relation between the Exchange Rate and its Fundamentals,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1561, CESifo Group Munich.
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2010. "Non-linearities in the relation between the exchange rate and its fundamentals," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 1-21.
- Jeffrey C. Fuhrer, 1995.
"The [un]importance of forward-looking behavior in price specifications,"
95-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Fuhrer, Jeffrey C, 1997. "The (Un)Importance of Forward-Looking Behavior in Price Specifications," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 338-50, August.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2006.
"The 'Sense and Nonsense of Maastricht' Revisited: What Have we Learnt about Stabilization in EMU?,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 687-710, November.
- Buiter, Willem H, 2005. "The 'Sense and Nonsense of Maastricht' Revisited: What Have We Learnt About Stabilization In EMU?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5405, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1983.
"Rules, Discretion and Reputation in a Model of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
1079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Gordon, David B., 1983. "Rules, discretion and reputation in a model of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 101-121.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004.
"The Economic Future of Europe,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 3-26, Fall.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1997.
"How Will the Euro behave?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1673, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barrell, Ray & Sefton, James, 1997. "Fiscal Policy and the Masstricht Solvency Criteria," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(3), pages 259-79, June.
- Philippe Martin, 1997.
"The Exchange Rate Policy of the Euro: a Matter of Size?,"
1997-06, CEPII research center.
- Martin, Philippe, 1998. "The Exchange Rate Policy of the Euro: A Matter of Size?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 455-482, December.
- Martin, Philippe, 1997. "The Exchange Rate Policy of the Euro: A Matter of Size?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gilles Oudiz & Jeffrey Sachs, 1985. "International Policy Coordination In Dynamic Macroeconomic Models," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Policy Coordination, pages 274-330 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1985. "The Optimal Degree of Commitment to an Intermediate Monetary Target," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1169-89, November.
- Fabrice Capoën & Pierre Villa, 1997. "Internal and External Policy Coordination: a Dynamic Analysis," Working Papers 1997-15, CEPII research center.
- Paul De Grauwe, 2006. "What Have we Learnt about Monetary Integration since the Maastricht Treaty?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 711-730, November.
- Jocelyn Horne & Paul R. Masson, 1988. "Scope and Limits of International Economic Cooperation and Policy Coordination," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 259-296, June.
- Currie, David & Holtham, Gerald & Hughes, Gordon, 1989. "The Theory and Practice of International Policy Coordination: Does Coordination Pay?," CEPR Discussion Papers 325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hughes Hallett, A J & Ma, Yue, 1996. "Changing Partners: The Importance of Coordinating Fiscal and Monetary Policies within a Monetary Union," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 64(2), pages 115-34, June.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2003.
"Reinventing Fiscal Policy,"
General Economics and Teaching
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 2005.
"Structural distortions and decentralized fiscal policies in EMU,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154977, Tilburg University.
- Roel Beetsma & Lans Bovenberg, 2001. "Structural Distortions and Decentralized Fiscal Policies in EMU," CESifo Working Paper Series 473, CESifo Group Munich.
- Beetsma, Roel & Bovenberg, A Lans, 2001. "Structural Distortions and Decentralized Fiscal Policies in EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 2851, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 2001.
"The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff between Inflation and Unemployment,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(471), pages C45-61, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2000. "The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff Between Inflation and Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 7884, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2000. "The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff Between Inflation and Unemployment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1905, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Fabrice Capoen & Henri Sterdyniak & Pierre Villa, 1994.
"Indépendance des banques centrales, politiques monétaire et budgétaire : une approche stratégique,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 65-102.
- Henri Sterdyniak & Pierre Villa & Fabrice Capoen, 1994. "Indépendance des banques centrales, politiques monétaire et budgétaire : une approche stratégique," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 50(1), pages 65-102.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Douglas D. Purvis, 1976. "More on Pitfalls in Financial Model Building," Working Papers 210, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Creel, Jerome & Capoen, Fabrice & Cussy, Pascal & Lenoble-Liaud, Helene, 2003. "How to manage financial shocks: Intra-European vs. international monetary coordination," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 431-455, December.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004.
"An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Diana N. Weymark, 2006. "Heterogeneity In A Currency Union With Social Market Objectives," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 53(1), pages 129-152, 02.
- Cussy, Pascal & Capoen, Fabrice & Creel, Jérôme & Lenoble-Liaud, Hélène, 2003. "How to manage ﬁnancial shocks : Intra-European vs. international monetary coordination," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7133, Paris Dauphine University.
- Beetsma,Roel M.W.J. & Bovenberg,A. Lans, 1995.
"Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers,"
024, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & Lans Bovenberg, A., 1998. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 239-258, August.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Monetary Union without Fiscal Coordination May Discipline Policymakers," DELTA Working Papers 95-22, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Discussion Paper 1995-59, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Amina Lahrèche-Révil & Isabelle Méjean, 2005. "Dynamique des exportations : une comparaison France-Allemagne," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 249.
- Paul Masson & Jacques Melitz, 1991. "Fiscal policy independence in a European Monetary Union," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 113-136, June.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi & Filipa Sa, 2005. "International Investors, the U.S. Current Account, and the Dollar," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 36(1), pages 1-66.
- Purvis, Douglas D, 1978. "Dynamic Models of Portfolio Behavior: More on Pitfalls in Financial Model Building," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 403-09, June.
- A.J. Hallet, 1998. "When Do Target Zones Work? An Examination of Exchange Rate Targeting as a Device for Coordinating Economic Policies," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 115-138, April.
- Edwin Le Heron, 2009. "Fiscal and Monetary Policies in a Keynesian Stock-Flow Consistent Model," GEMF Working Papers 2009-01, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.