Efficiency of stability-oriented institutions: the European case
Stability-oriented European institutions correspond to the general prescriptions of the ‘new macroeconomics consensus’. This contribution provides an assessment of the pros and cons of these institutions in terms of macro stabilisation and exchange-rate swings drawing on different scenarios. We argue that the institutions which have been associated with the Euro – limits on public deficits and a conservative central bank – have somewhat jeopardized the efficiency of this new exchange-rate regime. Adaptation of institutions is thus needed: either cooperation or coordination may enhance European welfare.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabrice Capoën & Pierre Villa, 1997. "Internal and External Policy Coordination: a Dynamic Analysis," Working Papers 1997-15, CEPII research center.
- Buiter, Willem H., 2005.
"The 'Sense and Nonsense of Maastricht' Revisited: What Have We Learnt About Stabilization In EMU?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5405, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2006. "The 'Sense and Nonsense of Maastricht' Revisited: What Have we Learnt about Stabilization in EMU?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 687-710, November.
- Currie, David & Holtham, Gerald & Hughes, Gordon, 1989. "The Theory and Practice of International Policy Coordination: Does Coordination Pay?," CEPR Discussion Papers 325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- A.J. Hallet, 1998. "When Do Target Zones Work? An Examination of Exchange Rate Targeting as a Device for Coordinating Economic Policies," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 115-138, April.
- Fuhrer, Jeffrey C, 1997.
"The (Un)Importance of Forward-Looking Behavior in Price Specifications,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 338-50, August.
- Jeffrey C. Fuhrer, 1995. "The [un]importance of forward-looking behavior in price specifications," Working Papers 95-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 2005.
"Structural distortions and decentralized fiscal policies in EMU,"
Other publications TiSEM
ee72b086-d53f-4849-88ff-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Beetsma, Roel & Bovenberg, A Lans, 2001. "Structural Distortions and Decentralized Fiscal Policies in EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 2851, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roel Beetsma & Lans Bovenberg, 2001. "Structural Distortions and Decentralized Fiscal Policies in EMU," CESifo Working Paper Series 473, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1997.
"How will the euro behave ?,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & Lans Bovenberg, A., 1998.
"Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 239-258, August.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Monetary Union without Fiscal Coordination May Discipline Policymakers," DELTA Working Papers 95-22, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Discussion Paper 1995-59, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma Roel M.W.J. & Bovenberg A. Lans, 1995. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Research Memorandum 024, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Sapir, Andre & Aghion, Philippe & Bertola, Giuseppe & Hellwig, Martin & Pisani-Ferry, Jean & Rosati, Dariusz & Vinals, Jose & Wallace, Helen, 2004.
"An Agenda for a Growing Europe: The Sapir Report,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199271498, July.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004. "An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi & Filipa Sa, 2005. "International Investors, the U.S. Current Account, and the Dollar," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 36(1), pages 1-66.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1983.
"Rules, Discretion and Reputation in a Model of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
1079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Gordon, David B., 1983. "Rules, discretion and reputation in a model of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 101-121.
- Philippe Martin, 1997.
"The Exchange Rate Policy of the Euro: a Matter of Size?,"
1997-06, CEPII research center.
- Martin, Philippe, 1998. "The Exchange Rate Policy of the Euro: A Matter of Size?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 455-482, December.
- Martin, Philippe, 1997. "The Exchange Rate Policy of the Euro: A Matter of Size?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hughes Hallett, A J & Ma, Yue, 1996. "Changing Partners: The Importance of Coordinating Fiscal and Monetary Policies within a Monetary Union," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 64(2), pages 115-34, June.
- Fabrice Capoen & Henri Sterdyniak & Pierre Villa, 1994.
"Indépendance des Banques centrales, politiques monétaire et budgétaire : une approche stratégique,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/5266, Sciences Po.
- Fabrice Capoen & Henri Sterdyniak & Pierre Villa, 1994. "Indépendance des banques centrales, politiques monétaire et budgétaire : une approche stratégique," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 50(1), pages 65-102.
- Cussy, Pascal & Capoen, Fabrice & Creel, Jérôme & Lenoble-Liaud, Hélène, 2003. "How to manage ﬁnancial shocks : Intra-European vs. international monetary coordination," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7133, Paris Dauphine University.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Amina Lahrèche-Révil & Isabelle Méjean, 2005. "Dynamique des exportations : une comparaison France-Allemagne," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 249.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2003.
"Reinventing fiscal policy,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 26(1), pages 3-25, October.
- Purvis, Douglas D, 1978. "Dynamic Models of Portfolio Behavior: More on Pitfalls in Financial Model Building," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 403-09, June.
- Douglas D. Purvis, 1976. "More on Pitfalls in Financial Model Building," Working Papers 210, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Jocelyn Horne & Paul R. Masson, 1988. "Scope and Limits of International Economic Cooperation and Policy Coordination," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 259-296, June.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1985. "The Optimal Degree of Commitment to an Intermediate Monetary Target," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1169-1189.
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2010.
"Non-linearities in the relation between the exchange rate and its fundamentals,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 1-21.
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2005. "Non-Linearities in the Relation between the Exchange Rate and its Fundamentals," CESifo Working Paper Series 1561, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gilles Oudiz & Jeffrey Sachs, 1985. "International Policy Coordination in Dynamic Macroeconomic Models," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Policy Coordination, pages 274-330 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barrell, Ray & Sefton, James, 1997. "Fiscal Policy and the Masstricht Solvency Criteria," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(3), pages 259-79, June.
- Creel, Jerome & Capoen, Fabrice & Cussy, Pascal & Lenoble-Liaud, Helene, 2003. "How to manage financial shocks: Intra-European vs. international monetary coordination," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 431-455, December.
- Paul De Grauwe, 2006. "What Have we Learnt about Monetary Integration since the Maastricht Treaty?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 711-730, November.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 2001.
"The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff between Inflation and Unemployment,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(471), pages C45-61, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2000. "The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff Between Inflation and Unemployment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1905, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2000. "The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff Between Inflation and Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 7884, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004.
"The Economic Future of Europe,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 3-26, Fall.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Diana N. Weymark, 2006. "Heterogeneity In A Currency Union With Social Market Objectives," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 53(1), pages 129-152, 02.
- Paul Masson & Jacques Melitz, 1991. "Fiscal policy independence in a European Monetary Union," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 113-136, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/2977. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.