Cooperative production and efficiency
AbstractWe characterize the sharing rule for which a contribution mechanism achieves efficiency in a cooperative production setting when agents are heterogeneous. The sharing rule bears no resemblance to those considered by the previous literature. We also show for a large class of sharing rules that if Nash equilibrium yields efficient allocations, the production function displays constant returns to scale, a case in which cooperation in production is useless.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía in its series Economics Working Papers with number we070502.
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Carmen Bevià & Luis C. Corchón, 2007. "Cooperative Production and Effciency," Working Papers 305, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Carmen Beviá & Luis C. Corchón, 2007. "Cooperative Production and Efficiency," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 696.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- D29 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Other
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy Formulation and Implementation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-05-19 (Business Economics)
- NEP-GTH-2007-05-19 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2007-05-19 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Browning, M J, 1983. "Efficient Decentralisation with a Transferable Good," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 375-81, April.
- Shigehiro Serizawa, 1997.
"Strategy-proof and individually rational social choice functions for public good economies,"
Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 379-380.
- Shigehiro Serizawa, 1996. "Strategy-proof and individually rational social choice functions for public good economies (*)," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 501-512.
- Serizawa, Shigehiro, 1996. "Strategy-Proof and Individually Rational Social Choice Functions for Public Good Economies," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 501-12, April.
- Fabella, Raul V., 1988. "Natural team sharing and team productivity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 105-110.
- François Maniquet & Yves Sprumont, 1999.
"Efficient strategy-proof allocation functions in linear production economies,"
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 583-595.
- MANIQUET, François & SPRUMONT, Yves, 1998. "Efficient Strategy-Proof Allocation Functions in Linear Production Economies," Cahiers de recherche 9805, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Leroux, Jistin, 2004. "Strategy-Proofness and Efficiency Are Incompatible in Production Economies," Working Papers 2004-07, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Ohseto, Shinji, 1997. "Strategy-proof mechanisms in public good economies," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 157-183, April.
- Moulin, Herve, 1994. "Serial Cost-Sharing of Excludable Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 305-25, April.
- Liqun Liu & Guoqiang Tian, 1999. "A characterization of the existenceof optimal dominant strategy mechanisms," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 205-218.
- Leroux, Justin, 2005. "Strategyproof Profit Sharing: A Two-Agent Characterization," Working Papers 2005-04, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Luis C. Corchón & M. Socorro Puy, 2002.
"Existence and Nash implementation of efficient sharing rules for a commonly owned technology,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 369-379.
- Luis Corchón & M. Socorro Puy, 2000. "- Existence And Nash Implementation Of Efficient Sharing Rules For A Commonly Owned Technology," Working Papers. Serie AD 2000-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Groves, Theodore & Loeb, Martin, 1975.
"Incentives and public inputs,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 211-226, August.
- Leroux, Justin, 2008.
"Profit sharing in unique Nash equilibrium: Characterization in the two-agent case,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 558-572, March.
- Justin Leroux, 2006. "Profit sharing in unique Nash equilibrium: Characterization in the two-agent case," Cahiers de recherche 06-11, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Pfingsten, Andreas, 1991. "Surplus-sharing methods," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 287-301, June.
- Roemer John E. & Silvestre Joaquim, 1993. "The Proportional Solution for Economies with Both Private and Public Ownership," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 426-444, April.
- Shigehiro Serizawa, 1999. "Strategy-Proof and Symmetric Social Choice Functions for Public Good Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 121-146, January.
- Shasikanta Nandeibam, 2003. "Implementation in teams," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 569-581, October.
- Rajat Deb & Shinji Ohseto, 1999. "Strategy-proof and individually rational social choice functions for public good economies: A note," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 685-689.
- Leroux, Justin, 2004. "Strategy-proofness and efficiency are incompatible in production economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 335-340, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.