A characterization of the existenceof optimal dominant strategy mechanisms
AbstractThis paper provides two theorems which characterize the domains of valuation functions for which there exist Pareto efficient and truth dominant strategy mechanisms (balanced Groves mechanisms). Theorem 1 characterizes the existence of balanced Groves mechanisms for a general class of valuation functions. Theorem 2 provides new balance-permitting domains of valuation functions by reducing the problem of solving partial differential equations to the problem of solving a polynomial function. It shows that a balanced Groves mechanism exists if and only if each valuation function in the family under consideration can be obtained by solving a polynomial function with order less than $n-1$, where n is the number of individuals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Economic Design.
Volume (Year): 4 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: Received: 5 January 1997 / Accepted: 25 May 1999
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10058/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carmen Beviá & Luis C. Corchón, 2007.
"Cooperative Production and Efficiency,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
696.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Carmen Bevià & Luis C. Corchón, 2007. "Cooperative Production and Effciency," Working Papers 305, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Carmen Bevia & Luis C. Corchon, 2007. "Cooperative production and efficiency," Economics Working Papers we070502, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Manipushpak Mitra & Roland Hain, 2001.
"Simple Sequencing Problems with Interdependent Costs,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse20_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Hain, Roland & Mitra, Manipushpak, 2004. "Simple sequencing problems with interdependent costs," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 271-291, August.
- Manipushpak Mitra, 2001.
"Incomplete Information and Multiple Machine Queueing Problems,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse19_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Mitra, Manipushpak, 2005. "Incomplete information and multiple machine queueing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 251-266, August.
- Kazuhiko Hashimoto & Hiroki Saitoh, 2010. "Domain expansion of the pivotal mechanism," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 455-470, March.
- Manipushpak Mitra & Arunava Sen, 2010. "Efficient allocation of heterogenous commodities with balanced transfers," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 29-48, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.