Pooling Private Technologies: Improving upon Autarky
AbstractWhen n agents decide to pool their private, decreasing returns technologies, single-path methods are a natural way to share joint output because of their strong incentives properties (Friedman, 2002). They are a non-anonymous generalization of the serial rule (Moulin and Shenker, 1992) sharing a production function along a prespecified path. We show that only one of these methods satisfies voluntary participation; its generating path is entirely determined by the n production functions. This yields a bijection between single-path methods and distributions of property rights on a single technology. Also, we show that these methods are characterized by their incentives properties in the 2-agent case, but not for n >= 3.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Rice University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2004-08.
Date of creation: Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: MS-22, 6100 South Main, Houston, TX 77005-1892
Phone: (713) 527-4875
Fax: (713) 285-5278
Web page: http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~econ/papers/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Satterthwaite, Mark A & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1981. "Strategy-Proof Allocation Mechanisms at Differentiable Points," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 587-97, October.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 1974. "Free access vs private ownership as alternative systems for managing common property," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 225-234, June.
- Leroux, Justin, 2004. "Strategy-proofness and efficiency are incompatible in production economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 335-340, December.
- HervÊ Moulin, 1999. "Incremental cost sharing: Characterization by coalition strategy-proofness," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 279-320.
- Shin, Sungwhee & Suh, Sang-Chul, 1997. "Double Implementation by a Simple Game Form in the Commons Problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 205-213, November.
- Luis C. Corchón & M. Socorro Puy, 2002.
"Existence and Nash implementation of efficient sharing rules for a commonly owned technology,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 369-379, April.
- Luis Corchón & M. Socorro Puy, 2000. "- Existence And Nash Implementation Of Efficient Sharing Rules For A Commonly Owned Technology," Working Papers. Serie AD 2000-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Dasgupta, Partha S & Hammond, Peter J & Maskin, Eric S, 1979. "The Implementation of Social Choice Rules: Some General Results on Incentive Compatibility," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 185-216, April.
- Sungwhee Shin & Sang-Chul Suh, 2000. "Strategy-proofness and efficiency in a simple production economy," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 523-532.
- Saijo, Tatsuyoshi, 1991. "Incentive compatibility and individual rationality in public good economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 203-212, October.
- Friedman, Eric J., 2002. "Strategic properties of heterogeneous serial cost sharing," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 145-154, November.
- Serizawa, Shigehiro, 2002. "Inefficiency of Strategy-Proof Rules for Pure Exchange Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 219-241, October.
- Sprumont, Y., 1996.
"Ordinal Cost Sharing,"
Cahiers de recherche
9624, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Townsend, Ralph E, 1995. "Fisheries self-governance: corporate or cooperative structures?," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 39-45, January.
- Leroux, Jistin, 2004. "Strategy-Proofness and Efficiency Are Incompatible in Production Economies," Working Papers 2004-07, Rice University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.