Asymmetric volatility spillovers: Revisiting the Diebold-Yilmaz (2009) spillover index with realized semivariance
AbstractBased on the negative and positive realized semivariances developed in Barndorff-Nielsen et al. (2010), we modify the volatility spillover index devised in Diebold and Yilmaz (2009). The resulting asymmetric volatility spillover indices are easy to compute and account well for negative and positive parts of volatility. We apply the modified indices on the 30 U.S. stocks with the highest market capitalization over the period 2004-2011 to study intra-market spillovers. We provide evidence of sizable volatility-spillover asymmetries and a markedly different pattern of spillovers during periods of economic ups and downs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1308.1221.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evzen Kocenda & Vit Bubak & Filip Zikes, 2011.
"Volatility Transmission in Emerging European Foreign Exchange Markets,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp1020, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bubák, Vít & Kocenda, Evzen & Zikes, Filip, 2011. "Volatility transmission in emerging European foreign exchange markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2829-2841, November.
- Vít Bubák & Evžen Kocenda & Filip Zikes, 2010. "Volatility Transmission in Emerging European Foreign Exchange Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 3063, CESifo Group Munich.
- McMillan, David G. & Speight, Alan E.H., 2010. "Return and volatility spillovers in three euro exchange rates," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 79-93, March.
- Garman, Mark B & Klass, Michael J, 1980. "On the Estimation of Security Price Volatilities from Historical Data," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 67-78, January.
- FrancisX. Diebold & Kamil Yilmaz, 2009.
"Measuring Financial Asset Return and Volatility Spillovers, with Application to Global Equity Markets,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(534), pages 158-171, 01.
- Francis X. Diebold & Kamil Yilmaz, 2007. "Measuring Financial Asset Return and Volatility Spillovers, With Application to Global Equity Markets," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-002, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Diebold and Yilmaz EJ 2009 spillover calculations," Statistical Software Components RTZ00044, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Yilmaz, Kamil, 2007. "Measuring financial asset return and volatility spillovers, with application to global equity markets," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/02, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Diebold, Francis X. & Yilmaz, Kamil, 2008. "Measuring financial asset return and volatilty spillovers, with application to global equity markets," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/26, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Francis X. Diebold & Kamil Yılmaz, 2007. "Measuring Financial Asset Return and Volatility Spillovers, With Application to Global Equity Markets," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 0705, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Francis X. Diebold & Kamil Yilmaz, 2008. "Measuring financial asset return and volatility spillovers, with application to global equity markets," Working Papers 08-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Francis X. Diebold & Kamil Yilmaz, 2008. "Measuring Financial Asset Return and Volatility Spillovers, With Application to Global Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 13811, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Koji Takahashi, 2012.
"Asian Financial Linkage: Macro‐Finance Dissonance,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 136-159, 02.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Koji Takahashi, 2011. "Asian financial linkage: macro-finance dissonance," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 92, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Yilmaz, Kamil, 2010.
"Return and volatility spillovers among the East Asian equity markets,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 304-313, June.
- Kamil Yilmaz, 2009. "Return and Volatility Spillovers among the East Asian Equity Markets," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 0907, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Ederington, Louis H. & Guan, Wei, 2010. "How asymmetric is U.S. stock market volatility?," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 225-248, May.
- Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 1994. "Threshold heteroskedastic models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 931-955, September.
- Andersen T. G & Bollerslev T. & Diebold F. X & Labys P., 2001. "The Distribution of Realized Exchange Rate Volatility," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 42-55, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.