Effective food and nutrition policy responses to HIV|AIDS: what we know and what we need to know
AbstractThis paper addresses the broad question: 'How should government policies in the area of food security, nutrition, agriculture and the environment be altered to better meet the needs of the poor within the context of the HIV|AIDS pandemic?' We review the literature on the impact of HIV|AIDS on livelihoods, with special reference to agriculture, food security and nutrition. We highlight public policy options for effective HIV|AIDS mitigation in the areas of agriculture and nutrition and discuss the role of research in stimulating effective action for AIDS mitigation and ultimately for HIV prevention. The review concludes with a consideration of research priorities. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Lundberg & M Over & P Mujinja, 2000.
"Sources of Financial Assistance for Households Suffering an Adult Death in Kagera, Tanzania,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 68(5), pages 420-443, December.
- Lundberg, Mattias & Over, Mead & Mujinja, Phare, 2000. "Sources of financial assistance for households suffering an adult death in Kagera, Tanzania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2508, The World Bank.
- Datt, Gaurav & Hoogeveen, Hans, 2000.
"El Nino or El Peso? Crisis, poverty, and income distribution in the Philippines,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2466, The World Bank.
- Datt, Gaurav & Hoogeveen, Hans, 2003. "El Nino or El Peso? Crisis, Poverty and Income Distribution in the Philippines," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1103-1124, July.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Minten, Bart, 1998.
"Relationships and traders in Madagascar,"
MTID discussion papers
24, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Knox, Anna & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela & Hazell, P. B. R., 1998. "Property rights, collective action and technologies for natural resource management: a conceptual framework," CAPRi working papers 1, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- C Arndt & J D Lewis, 2000. "The Macro Implications of HIV/AIDS in South Africa: A Preliminary Assessment," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 68(5), pages 380-392, December.
- Kadiyala, Suneetha, 2004.
"Scaling up HIV/AIDS interventions through expanded partnerships (STEPs) in Malawi,"
FCND discussion papers
179, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kadiyala, Suneetha, 2004. "Scaling up HIV/AIDS interventions through expanded partnerships (STEPs) in Malawi," FCND briefs 179, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alderman, Harold & Hoogeveen, Hans & Rossi, Mariacristina, 2005.
"Reducing child malnutrition in Tanzania - combined effects of income growth and program interventions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3567, The World Bank.
- Alderman, Harold & Hoogeveen, Hans & Rossi, Mariacristina, 2006. "Reducing child malnutrition in Tanzania: Combined effects of income growth and program interventions," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Niehof, Anke, 2004. "The significance of diversification for rural livelihood systems," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-338, August.
- Ndirangu, Lydia K., 2008. "Effects of Ill Health and Weather Variability on Savings," 2007 Second International Conference, August 20-22, 2007, Accra, Ghana 52151, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Gebreselassie, Kidist & Price, Lisa & Wesseler, Justus & van Ierland, Ekko, 2008. "Impacts of HIV/AIDS on labour allocation and agrobiodiversity depend on the stage of the epidemic: case studies in Ethiopia," MPRA Paper 25608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gebreselassie, Kidist & Wesseler, Justus & van Ierland, Ekko C., 2007. "The Effect of HIV/AIDS Driven Labor Organization on Agrobiodiversity: an Empirical Study in Ethiopia," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7929, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ruttan, Vernon W., 2002. "Productivity Growth In World Agriculture: Sources And Constraints," Staff Papers 14176, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.