Short-term forecasting of GDP using large datasets: a pseudo real-time forecast evaluation exercise
AbstractThis paper performs a large-scale forecast evaluation exercise to assess the performance of different models for the short-term forecasting of GDP, resorting to large datasets from ten European countries. Several versions of factor models are considered and cross-country evidence is provided. The forecasting exercise is performed in a simulated real-time context, which takes account of publication lags in the individual series. In general, we find that factor models perform best and models that exploit monthly information outperform models that use purely quarterly data. However, the improvement over the simpler, quarterly models remains contained. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anna Norin, 2011. "Nowcasting of the Gross Regional Product," ERSA conference papers ersa10p768, European Regional Science Association.
- Kajal Lahiri & George Monokroussos, 2011.
"Nowcasting US GDP: The role of ISM Business Surveys,"
11-01, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Lahiri, Kajal & Monokroussos, George, 2013. "Nowcasting US GDP: The role of ISM business surveys," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 644-658.
- Marek Rusnak, 2013. "Nowcasting Czech GDP in Real Time," Working Papers 2013/06, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- A. Girardi & R. Golinelli & C. Pappalardo, 2014. "The Role of Indicator Selection in Nowcasting Euro Area GDP in Pseudo Real Time," Working Papers wp919, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Paulo Soares Esteves & António Rua, 2012. "Short-term forecasting for the portuguese economy: a methodological overview," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Guido Bulligan & Roberto Golinelli & Giuseppe Parigi, 2010. "Forecasting industrial production: the role of information and methods," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The IFC's contribution to the 57th ISI Session, Durban, August 2009, volume 33, pages 227-235 Bank for International Settlements.
- Marie Bessec, 2013.
"Short‐Term Forecasts of French GDP: A Dynamic Factor Model with Targeted Predictors,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(6), pages 500-511, 09.
- Bessec, M., 2012. "Short-term forecasts of French GDP: a dynamic factor model with targeted predictors," Working papers 409, Banque de France.
- Bessec, Marie, 2013. "Short-term forecasts of French GDP: A dynamic factor model with targeted predictors," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10079, Paris Dauphine University.
- Bhattacharya, Rudrani & Pandey, Radhika & Veronese, Giovanni, 2011. "Tracking India Growth in Real Time," Working Papers 11/90, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Knut Are Aastveit & Karsten R. Gerdrup & Anne Sofie Jore & Leif Anders Thorsrud, 2011.
"Nowcasting GDP in real-time: A density combination approach,"
2011/11, Norges Bank.
- Knut Are Aastveit & Karsten R. Gerdrup & Anne Sofie Jore & Leif Anders Thorsrud, 2011. "Nowcasting GDP in Real-Time: A Density Combination Approach," Working Papers 0003, Centre for Applied Macro- and Petroleum economics (CAMP), BI Norwegian Business School.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Maier, Philipp, 2011. "Forecasting economic growth in the euro area during the Great Moderation and the Great Recession," Working Paper Series 1379, European Central Bank.
- Esteves, Paulo Soares, 2013. "Direct vs bottom–up approach when forecasting GDP: Reconciling literature results with institutional practice," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 416-420.
- Valle e Azevedo, João & Pereira, Ana, 2013.
"Approximating and forecasting macroeconomic signals in real-time,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 479-492.
- João Valle e Azevedo & Ana Pereira, 2008. "Approximating and Forecasting Macroeconomic Signals in Real-Time," Working Papers w200819, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Roman Horvath, 2012. "Do Confidence Indicators Help Predict Economic Activity? The Case of the Czech Republic," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(5), pages 398-412, November.
- Antipa, Pamfili & Barhoumi, Karim & Brunhes-Lesage, Véronique & Darné, Olivier, 2012.
"Nowcasting German GDP: A comparison of bridge and factor models,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 864-878.
- Antipa, P. & Barhoumi, K. & Brunhes-Lesage, V. & Darné, O., 2012. "Nowcasting German GDP: A comparison of bridge and factor models," Working papers 401, Banque de France.
- Alessandro Borin & Riccardo Cristadoro & Roberto Golinelli & Giuseppe Parigi, 2012. "Forecasting world output: the rising importance of emerging economies," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 853, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.